Understanding the Carnot Cycle: Heat Pumps & Engines

In summary, the conversation discusses the carnot cycle and the differences in internal energy for heat pumps and engines. The book states that heat engines have no change in internal energy while heat pumps do, due to the addition and subtraction of heat in different parts of the cycle. The speaker is struggling to understand how the isothermal process in heat engines does not result in a change in internal energy, and questions when the added heat is considered to produce a change in internal energy. The cycle returns to the same state, resulting in a dU=0, but during the cycle, dU can be either positive or negative.
mayer
Greetings,
Here is my thought process on the carnot cycle, regarding heat pumps and engines. I'd much appreciate it if you can clear up any misconceptions and answer my question at the very end.
So my book states that there is no change in internal energy in a heat engine, but neither confirm nor denies that fact when describing the heat pump. Judging from its omission I assume that heat pumps do have a change in internal energy which makes sense since heat is added and subtracted in different parts of the cycle. But I am having trouble seeing that heat engines have no change in internal energy. Is it because it involves isothermal and adiabatic processes? I can understand how an adiabatic process would lead to no internal energy change but I am still stuck on the isothermal part. Heat is being added during this segment of the cycle yet its internal energy change is zero. Is the volume increase produced by the heat added so instantaneous that the energy from the heat is never considered part of the system? I guess what my question boils down to is, when is the heat that is added considered to produce a change in internal energy?

Thank You

Science news on Phys.org
Ah, I apologize I should've made the title more descriptive, I lost my train of thought while writing the question.

when the carnot cycle has come full circle, it returns to the same state, hence dU=0. During the cycle, this is different ie dU ><0.

Related to Understanding the Carnot Cycle: Heat Pumps & Engines

What is the Carnot cycle?

The Carnot cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that describes the most efficient way to convert heat into work. It consists of four reversible processes: isothermal expansion, adiabatic expansion, isothermal compression, and adiabatic compression.

What is a heat pump?

A heat pump is a device that uses the Carnot cycle to transfer heat from a low-temperature reservoir to a high-temperature reservoir. It can be used for both heating and cooling purposes, making it a versatile and energy-efficient option for climate control.

How does a heat pump work?

A heat pump works by using a compressor to raise the temperature of a refrigerant gas, which then transfers heat to the desired location through a series of condenser coils. The refrigerant gas is then cooled and expanded before being compressed again, completing the Carnot cycle.

What is the difference between a heat pump and a heat engine?

A heat pump and a heat engine both use the Carnot cycle, but in opposite directions. A heat pump transfers heat from a low-temperature reservoir to a high-temperature reservoir, while a heat engine converts heat into work. Heat pumps are more efficient than heat engines, as they do not rely on fuel combustion.

What are the applications of the Carnot cycle?

The Carnot cycle has many practical applications, including heat pumps for heating and cooling, refrigeration systems, and power generation. It is also used as a theoretical framework for understanding the limitations of real systems and improving their efficiency.