Understanding the behaviour of exponential expressions

In summary, the equation for current density at the interface of an electrode in solution is i = ia-ic = icorr(exp(n/Ba)-exp(-n/Bc)). If -n<<Bc then exp(-n/Bc) tends to 0, and if n>>Ba the equation becomes i (is approx) = ic = icorr exp(-n/Bc).
Crispin
Hi folks, hope somebody can help me understand this one please?

Gven an expression i = ia-ic = icorr(exp(n/Ba)-exp(-n/Bc)), we are told that if -n<<Bc then exp(-n/Bc) tends to 0 & the equation becomes i (is approx) = ia = icorr exp(n/Ba).

I find that exp(-n/Bc) tends towards 0 if I substitute decreasing numbers in place of -n. So that works fine.

But then the we are told that if n>>Ba the equation becomes i (is approx) = ic = icorr exp(-n/Bc). This must mean that the exp(n/Ba) term must have tended to 0 again, and be negated, hence why it is removed.

When I try substituting increasing value numbers in place of n for exp(n/Ba), I find the opposite trend, i.e. exp(5/2) = 12.1 exp(10/2) = 148.4 so with increasing n the trend is towards infinity not 0?

Any advice most appreciated

Crispin

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi folks, does this question not make sense, is that why I've not had a reply?

Please advise & if needs be I can check the notes & write the info exactly as written.

Thanks

Crispin

Crispin said:
Hi folks, hope somebody can help me understand this one please?

Gven an expression i = ia-ic = icorr(exp(n/Ba)-exp(-n/Bc)), we are told that if -n<<Bc then exp(-n/Bc) tends to 0 & the equation becomes i (is approx) = ia = icorr exp(n/Ba).

I find that exp(-n/Bc) tends towards 0 if I substitute decreasing numbers in place of -n. So that works fine.

But then the we are told that if n>>Ba the equation becomes i (is approx) = ic = icorr exp(-n/Bc). This must mean that the exp(n/Ba) term must have tended to 0 again, and be negated, hence why it is removed.
That doesn't make any sense to me. If n>>Ba, exp(n/Ba) is very large.

Crispin said:
When I try substituting increasing value numbers in place of n for exp(n/Ba), I find the opposite trend, i.e. exp(5/2) = 12.1 exp(10/2) = 148.4 so with increasing n the trend is towards infinity not 0?
Sounds good to me.

Thanks Mark, so I'm not going mad...

We are told that the sum of two reactions in equillibirum give the total current (i), and this is given by the equation: i = ia - ic = ix (exp(n/Ba) - exp(-n/Bc)).

As the "ic" term is negative, that's why it is subtracted, so as the the 2 negatives cancel out presumably.

Then the exact words are;
"When -n<<Bc (i.e. the overpotential is quite positive, and E > Ecorr), and exp(-n/Bc) tends to zero. In this case, almost no cathodic current flows & the equation becomes i (approx)= ia = ix exp(n/Ba)

When n>>Ba, the overpotential is negative & E < Ecorr. In this case almost no anodic current flows, and equation becomes i (approx)= ic = ix exp(-n/Bc)"

Is it something to do with the negative/positive signs that I may have missed?

Thanks

Crispin

If ic is negative, then ia - ic will be larger than ia. (I'm assuming that ia >0.)

I don't know what all the terms represent, and particularly their signs, so I can't say anything very definite. But, if n > 0 and Ba > 0, and given that n >> Ba, it's a certainty that exp(n/Ba) is a large positive number.

Thanks for your feedback Mark, its called the Butler-Volmer equation, and relates to the current density at the interface of an electrode in solution, where both anodic & cathodic reactions (electrochemical corrosion reactions), are contributing to the current being produced.

http://people.clarkson.edu/~ekatz/butler-volmer_equation.htm

If that doesn't shed any more light, then don't worry about it. Thanks for taking a look for me.

Crispin

Last edited by a moderator:
Crispin said:
When n>>Ba, the overpotential is negative & E < Ecorr. In this case almost no anodic current flows, and equation becomes i (approx)= ic = ix exp(-n/Bc)"

Is it something to do with the negative/positive signs that I may have missed?

Yes, this should be -n>>Ba or n<<Ba (the text even states that n is negative). It's just a matter of seeing which current term dominates. It might be helpful to plot the current for typical values and letting n go from large negative to large positive. Then plot the two terms individually. You'll see how one of the terms will usually dominate.

Does this answer your question?

Many thanks Mapes,

So it looks like a typo in the notes, it's a pdf file, and it definitely says "n>>Ba".

It should have read "n<<Ba", as then the term "exp(n/Ba)" tends to zero, and it can, therefore, be removed from the overal equation of i = ia-ic = icorr(exp(n/Ba)-exp(-n/Bc)), to just leave i = ic = icorr (exp(-n/Bc)

Thank you for your help, very much appreciated!

Kind Regards

Crispin

Last edited:

Related to Understanding the behaviour of exponential expressions

1. What is an exponential expression?

An exponential expression is a mathematical expression that contains a base number raised to a power. It is commonly written in the form of an, where a is the base and n is the power or exponent.

2. How do you simplify exponential expressions?

To simplify an exponential expression, you can use the laws of exponents, which include rules for multiplying, dividing, and raising exponential expressions to a power. You can also use logarithms to simplify more complex exponential expressions.

3. What is the difference between exponential and polynomial expressions?

The main difference between exponential and polynomial expressions is that exponential expressions involve a variable in the exponent, while polynomial expressions do not. Exponential expressions also tend to grow or decrease rapidly, while polynomial expressions have a more gradual change.

4. How are exponential expressions used in real-life situations?

Exponential expressions are used to model many real-life situations, such as population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay. They can also be used in engineering, physics, and other fields to represent exponential growth or decay.

5. What are some common misconceptions about exponential expressions?

One common misconception about exponential expressions is that the base number must be greater than 1. In reality, the base number can be any positive number, including fractions and decimals. Another misconception is that the exponent must be a whole number, but it can also be a fraction or negative number.