Understanding the Basics of Complex Numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the basics of complex numbers and how to represent them in different forms. It also touches on the use of complex numbers in representing waves in alternating current. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the possible existence of complex numbers in nature or space.
JPC
hey i know the basics about complex numbers

like: 5*i^7 = 5*i^3 = 5 * -i = -5i = (- pi/2, 5)

but now :

how would i represent :

-> 1 ^ i = ? = ( ? , ? ) or would it involve another mathematical dimention and be more of a (? , ? , ?) ?

////////////////////

and now, how can i draw a cube of length = i

///////

i mean , at my school , we told me how to use i , but not how to understand it
we don't even really know why we have the graph with real numbers and pure imaginary numbers as axis ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1^i = 1. 1^x = 1 for all complex numbers x.

The complex numbers are closed, so you'll never need another unit j, say, to solve equations involving complex numbers, such as 1^i=x.

Lengths are positive real numbers. You can't have something with an imaginary length.

Putting complex numbers on a graph with real part and imaginary parts as axes is just a representation. It doesn't much mean anything. You can do it differently if you want (magnitude and angle axes, for example). It's just useful to think of them as points in the plane to help your intuition.

ok since 1^x= 1 , x belonging to all complex numbers
bad example

then 2 ^ i = ?

if a is a positive real number, tghen a^z can be defined as e^(ln(a)z) where ln(a) is the positive real natural log of a.
if a is a more complicated complex number, there is no such nice unique choice of a natural log of a, so a^z has more than one meaning.

i know iof no way to make sense of a complex length, so a cube of side lnegth i amkes no sense to me. what does it mean to you? maybe you cn think of something interesting.

so your second exmple 2^i equals e^(i.ln(2)), which is approximated as closekly as desired by the series for e^z.
so the first two terms are 1 + i.ln(2).

thx for the a^i

and for the cube, maybe a cube with imaginary borders, sides , ect = an imaginary cube : )

or maybe a cube with no lengh in our 3 main dimentions (we cannot see it), but with an existence in another dimention : )

JPC said:
thx for the a^i

and for the cube, maybe a cube with imaginary borders, sides , ect = an imaginary cube : )

or maybe a cube with no lengh in our 3 main dimentions (we cannot see it), but with an existence in another dimention : )
How did you get off complex numbers to geometry? I know of know way of defining "a cube with imaginary borders, sides, etc." I have no idea what you could mean by an imaginary length.

i didnt mean into geometry, but in existence
i admit, the idea of the cube was a bad idea, but complex numbers surely must be found somewhere in nature (or somewhere in space) ? i mean is there somewhere in space, or more precisely earth, where we see sqroot(-1) ?

JPC said:
i didnt mean into geometry, but in existence
i admit, the idea of the cube was a bad idea, but complex numbers surely must be found somewhere in nature (or somewhere in space) ? i mean is there somewhere in space, or more precisely earth, where we see sqroot(-1) ?

Complex numbers can be applied to models dealing with alternating current. There are probably more.

can you tell me in what exactly with alternative current we find complex numbers ?

eix= cos(x)+ i sin(x) so complex exponentials are routinely used to represent waves such as alternating current. Of course those Wacky engineers use j instead of i!

Related to Understanding the Basics of Complex Numbers

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that are made up of two parts - a real part and an imaginary part. They are expressed in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. The imaginary part is represented by the letter i, which is equal to the square root of -1.

2. How are complex numbers used?

Complex numbers are used in many areas of mathematics, science, and engineering. They are often used to solve equations that involve square roots of negative numbers, which cannot be solved with real numbers. They are also used in signal processing, electronics, and quantum mechanics.

3. How do you add, subtract, multiply, and divide complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last). To divide complex numbers, you multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator (the same expression with the sign of the imaginary part reversed).

4. What is the complex conjugate of a complex number?

The complex conjugate of a complex number is the same expression with the sign of the imaginary part reversed. For example, the complex conjugate of 3 + 2i is 3 - 2i.

5. How are complex numbers graphed on the complex plane?

Complex numbers are graphed on the complex plane, which is a two-dimensional coordinate system where the horizontal axis represents the real numbers and the vertical axis represents the imaginary numbers. The point (a, bi) on the complex plane corresponds to the complex number a + bi.