Understanding Summation Notation for Beginners

• Thread starter icystrike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation is about applying a summation rule to the equation (-1)^i * (i^2 + i + 1)/i!, where i is equal to 1. The speaker is unsure about the application of the summation rule and asks for clarification on how to solve the question. They also mention that when plugging the equation into Mathematica, it gives a result that may not be expected for someone who is new to summations. The value of n is 2008 and there is a question about whether the sum is listed correctly.
icystrike
Summation (-1)[tex]^{i}[/tex] [tex]\frac{i^2+i+1}{i!}[/tex]
i=1
I guess I am suppose to apply the summation rule

and i got (-1)[tex]^{i}[/tex] [tex]\frac{n(n+1)(n+2)+3n}{3i!}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
What summation rule are you talking about?
What is n in your final answer?
How can it depend on i anyway, if you are summing over that?

Please elaborate a bit more on how you wanted to solve the question.

CompuChip said:
What summation rule are you talking about?
What is n in your final answer?
How can it depend on i anyway, if you are summing over that?

Please elaborate a bit more on how you wanted to solve the question.

n is 2008.

Im uncertain of the application of summation - factorial.

Could you answer CompuChip's first question? Secondly are you sure the sum is listed correctly, because when I plug it into mathematica it gives a pretty terrible result. Not something one new to summations would be expected to do.

Related to Understanding Summation Notation for Beginners

What is summation?

Summation is a mathematical process of adding together a sequence of numbers to obtain a total or sum. It is represented by the symbol Σ (sigma).

What is the purpose of summation?

The purpose of summation is to simplify and condense a series of numbers into a single value. It is often used in mathematical and scientific calculations to analyze and interpret data.

How is summation calculated?

To calculate summation, you need to add up all the numbers in the sequence. The formula for summation is Σx = x1 + x2 + x3 + ... + xn, where x1, x2, x3, ..., xn are the individual numbers in the sequence.

What is the difference between summation and addition?

Summation and addition are similar in that they both involve adding numbers together. However, summation is used to add a sequence of numbers, while addition is used to add two or more individual numbers.

What are some real-life applications of summation?

Summation has many real-life applications, such as calculating the total cost of a shopping trip, determining the average temperature over a period of time, or finding the total distance traveled on a road trip. It is also used in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to analyze and interpret data.