Understanding Strong & Weak Resonance

• Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resonance
In summary, the terms strong resonance and weak resonance are commonly used in the study of resonant captures, but there is no formal definition for them. Generally, resonances with smaller values for m+n (in the case of a m:n resonance) are considered stronger, but there is no specific threshold for what constitutes a weak or strong resonance. Additionally, there are other terms such as super resonance and Kozai resonance that are not precisely defined and can only be understood through their context and usage in research papers and articles. Understanding these complex gravitational dynamics often requires the use of high performance computer simulations and there are multiple areas of study, including the interactions between multiple gravitating objects and the long term dynamics of orbiting bodies. The Kozai
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm reading a few papers on resonant captures, and I come across the terms strong resonance and weak resonance, without actually seeing them defined.

I've got my guesses. I think 3:2 and 2:1 are considered strong, and I believe that it's because objects in 3:2 and 2:1 will complete a resonance cycle rather quickly, where as something like 17:16 will take a long time to complete a single cycle of this resonance. Does anybody have any insight or perhaps a definition?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Let me add a few more terms to my list.

super resonance and Kozai resonance. I know what the Kozai mechanism is, but not the Kozai resonance.

Googling isn't getting me very far. There's articles that use the terms, but they don't define them. I starting to get a sense of what they are through the context in which they're used, but everytime I think I've got it figured out, I read something else that contradicts what I though I figured out.

My guess is that they are not precisely defined.

The gravitational dynamics of multiple gravitiating noncolliding bodies is incredibly complex, far more complex than gas dynamics. This is because close interactions between bodies can have very dramatic and unpredictable results.

I am also quite interested in complex gravitational dynamics. My standard astronomical textbooks do not really touch the subject, and the published papers are usually too specific and assume a thorough knowledge. A few years ago I saw a new book on the subject reviewed and its contents pages but I can't find my reference to itm maybe others can.

It is only by simulation with high performance computer systems that an understanding of the many and varied configurations with longer lives than a transient single interection can be understood. There are several general areas of study. That of many similar gravitatiting objects like stars in a galaxy, That of light particles (no significant self gravitational fields) moving around in a complex gravitiational environment and the long term dynamical interactions of multiple orbiting bodies like the solar system or multiple star systems.

The kozai resonance falls into the second category being a zone of nominally elliptical orbits with quite large changes in their parameters but still a good degree of long term stability. These are related to the low energy ways of getting around the solar syatem that planetary probes are now using. There is quite an interesting but very non technical article on this in this weeks New scientist.

Last edited:
Soul Surfer said:
My standard astronomical textbooks do not really touch the subject, and the published papers are usually too specific and assume a thorough knowledge.
That's the problem I'm running into. I can't find any middle ground. I might actually have to go to the library:eek: . The New Scientist article sounds interesting. I'll have to pick up a copy.

I e-mailed my question to Dr. Paul Wiegert, the astronomer who wrote one of the papers I'm reading. He was kind enough to reply.

As for strong/weak resonances, there's not really a formal definition.
You can show that some resonances generally are weaker than others eg
that the 2:1 and 3:2 mean motion resonances are stronger than the, say,
37:42 or 89:1045 (as a rule, for a m:n resonance, the smaller is m+n,
the stronger the resonance). But there's no specified dividing line
between weak and strong.

Related to Understanding Strong & Weak Resonance

1. What is resonance?

Resonance is a phenomenon that occurs when an object or system is subjected to a periodic force at the same frequency as its natural frequency. This results in a significant increase in amplitude or energy of the object or system.

2. What is strong resonance?

Strong resonance is a type of resonance that occurs when the frequency of the periodic force is very close to the natural frequency of the object or system. This results in a large increase in amplitude or energy, and can potentially cause damage to the object or system.

3. What is weak resonance?

Weak resonance is a type of resonance that occurs when the frequency of the periodic force is only slightly close to the natural frequency of the object or system. This results in a small increase in amplitude or energy, and is generally not harmful to the object or system.

4. How can resonance be harmful?

Resonance can be harmful when it occurs at a frequency that is close to the natural frequency of a structural component, causing it to vibrate at a high amplitude. This can lead to fatigue and potential failure of the component over time.

5. How can resonance be controlled or prevented?

Resonance can be controlled or prevented by designing structures with natural frequencies that are significantly different from common external frequencies, such as wind or machinery vibrations. Dampers can also be added to absorb excess energy and prevent resonance from occurring.