Understanding Stationary Waves in Open and Closed Tubes

In summary, the conversation is about a homework question regarding a tube with one open and one closed end. The first part asks for a labelled sketch of the stationary wave pattern for the fundamental and next highest mode. Part b) asks to describe the physical quantity being graphed on the vertical axis, and part c) wants an explanation for the behavior of this quantity at the open and closed ends. The participants also discuss whether the question is asking for a graph or if a graph has already been provided.
t_n_p

Homework Statement

For a tube with one end open and one closed
a) Draw a labelled sketch of the stationary wave patter for (i) the fundamental and (ii) the next highest mode.

b)describe the physical quantity graphed (as the verticle axis, i.e. the dependent variable)

c) clearly explain the reason for the behaviour of this quantity at (i) the closed and (ii) the open end

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) would I draw a sketch of the displacement of the pressure?
part b) just seems like one of those weird questions that has nothing to do with part a:confused: . Can somebody help me to decypher it?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is the question wants you to graph some physical quantity on the y-axis and length on the x-axis. So 'sketch' must mean 'graph' ?

Or they've provided a graph and you've missed it ?

no graphs anywhere :confused:

What do you recommend I draw for a)?

Related to Understanding Stationary Waves in Open and Closed Tubes

1. What are stationary waves in a tube?

Stationary waves in a tube, also known as standing waves, are a type of wave that occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This results in a pattern of nodes (points of no displacement) and antinodes (points of maximum displacement) that remain in a fixed position within the tube.

2. How do stationary waves form in a tube?

Stationary waves form in a tube when a wave is reflected back and forth between two boundaries, such as the closed ends of a tube or two points of fixed displacement. As the reflected wave interferes with the original wave, the resulting pattern of nodes and antinodes remains stationary.

3. What factors affect the formation of stationary waves in a tube?

The factors that affect the formation of stationary waves in a tube include the frequency, amplitude, and wavelength of the waves, as well as the length and properties of the tube itself. For example, a shorter tube or a higher frequency wave will result in a higher number of nodes and antinodes.

4. What are the applications of stationary waves in a tube?

Stationary waves in a tube have several applications in science and engineering. They are commonly used in musical instruments, such as wind instruments and stringed instruments, to produce specific notes and harmonics. They are also used in acoustic engineering for noise control and in fluid dynamics to study the behavior of fluids in pipes and channels.

5. How are stationary waves in a tube different from traveling waves?

Stationary waves in a tube differ from traveling waves in that they do not transfer energy from one point to another. Instead, they maintain a fixed pattern of nodes and antinodes within the tube. In contrast, traveling waves do transfer energy as they propagate through a medium.