Understanding Sine Wave Production with an LC Filter and Inverter PWM Waveform

In summary, an LC filter is used to eliminate the carrier frequency of a pwm signal, which in turn produces a sinewave.
raikko62
Hi,

Could someone please explain how EXACTLY a sine wave is produced using an LC filter from a PWM waveform generated by an inverter.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi raikko

In order to create a sine wave, the duty cycle of the pwm signal should be varied in a

sinusoidal manner, this can be done using micro controller, and each pwm period an interrupt is

generated, and the duty cycle takes a new value in the interrupt service routine. (Note that

the values that the duty cycle should take are saved in an array; say up to 200 elements).

This will generate a sine wave which has also the carrier frequency part of its harmonic

components, so we put a low pass filter (LC filter) in order to eliminate the switching

frequency.

Thanks for the reply.
However what I wanted to know is how the LC filter works in eliminating the carrier frequency of the generated PWM signal.

Kind of the same way FM demodulation works on your radio, I would imagine? :wink:

hello how is everyone. Could someone kindly send me a link for a pure sinewave imverter circuit/ Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
for an intro to one technique
try a google on

magic sinewave tinaja

However what I wanted to know is how the LC filter works in eliminating the carrier frequency of the generated PWM signal.
the series L is high impedance at carrier frequency so attenuates carrier by voltage divider action
the paralllel C is low impedance at carrier frequency so shunts carrier attenuating it further.

you can also shape a square wave into a pretty decent sinewave with tuned filters that attenuate the harmonics

Last edited:
Thank you for your support but I went to the magic sinwave site but I did not see a circuit please help me on this . thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
@olivermsun and @jim hardy - Thanks for the answers

Related to Understanding Sine Wave Production with an LC Filter and Inverter PWM Waveform

1. How does a sine filter work?

A sine filter is a type of electronic filter that is used to remove or reduce unwanted signals or noise from a signal. It works by using a sine wave to cancel out or attenuate certain frequencies in the signal, resulting in a cleaner and smoother output.

2. What are the benefits of using a sine filter?

One of the main benefits of using a sine filter is its ability to remove noise and unwanted signals from a signal without affecting the desired signal. This can improve the overall quality and accuracy of the signal, making it more useful for various applications such as data analysis or communication systems.

3. How is a sine filter different from other types of filters?

A sine filter is different from other types of filters, such as low-pass or high-pass filters, because it uses a sine wave to filter out unwanted signals instead of using complex circuits or components. This makes it a simpler and more efficient option for certain applications.

4. Can a sine filter be used for both analog and digital signals?

Yes, a sine filter can be used for both analog and digital signals. It is commonly used in audio and radio frequency applications for analog signals, but can also be implemented in digital signal processing systems to remove unwanted noise from digital signals.

5. Are there any limitations to using a sine filter?

While a sine filter can be effective in removing unwanted signals, it has its limitations. It may not be able to completely eliminate all noise in a signal, and it can also introduce distortion if not properly designed or implemented. Additionally, it may have a limited frequency range, making it suitable for specific applications only.