Understanding rectangular matrices

In summary: It's from a linear programming question in standard form. It's a part of a worksheet we got, but I didn't want help with the whole question (so I didn't put it in the homework help forum), just understanding the meaning of the rectangular matrix.
Urmi Roy
So if I have a system of equations:
$$x_1+x_2+x_3=1$$
and $$x_4+x_5+x_6=1$$

Then they can be put into a matrix representation
\begin{equation*}
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 1 & 1\\
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
x_1 \\
x_2 \\
x_3 \\
x_4 \\
x_5 \\
x_6 \\
\end{bmatrix}
=
\begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
1 \\
\end{bmatrix}
\end{equation*}

So I know that columns in a matrix represent vectors. Is it true that in this matrix we therefore have 6 2D vectors?

Also it looks like there are only 2 vectors, and 3 each of them.

It's just surprising to me that there are 6 variables and only 2D vectors.

If I imagine them to be 2D vectors in x-y plane, then they are also mutually perpendicular. So eventually, the equations I mentioned above, although they look like planes, are they just really the x and y axes?

I guess I'm confused in going from the vector interpretation to the equation interpretation of the matrix.

I would appreciate help in understanding how to interpret the matrix form

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this originate in some textbook problem? Could you then please state it from the book...

It is not clear to me which 2D-vectors you are talking about. Also, your two equations are independent in the sense that they can be solved separately, and I see no reason to put them together in a system of equations.

It's from a linear programming question in standard form. It's a part of a worksheet we got, but I didn't want help with the whole question (so I didn't put it in the homework help forum), just understanding the meaning of the rectangular matrix. I've attached the question here for context.

By 2D vectors I mean
\begin{pmatrix}
1\\
\end{pmatrix}
and
\begin{pmatrix}
0\\
\end{pmatrix}

There are 3 each of them in the matrix.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    32.7 KB · Views: 423
You are mapping 6 variables (so a 6 dimensional space) onto 2 numbers (so a 2 dimensional space).
The 6 2D vectors you mention are the images of the 6 unit vectors in the 6D domain space.
So ##(1,0,0,0,0,0,0)\rightarrow(1,0)## etc.
These images are clearly not perpendicular: ##(0,1,0,0,0,0,0)\rightarrow(1,0)## also, etc.

With 6 DImensions and 2 constraints (your 2 equations) you have four degrees of freedom.
6D vectors that satisfy your equations look like e.g. ##(x-1, x_2, 1-x_1-x_2,x_4,x_5,1-x_4-x_5)## so they are definitely not the axes.

Last edited:
BvU said:
You are mapping 6 variables (so a 6 dimensional space) onto 2 numbers (so a 2 dimensional space).
The 6 2D vectors you mention are the images of the 6 unit vectors in the 6D domain space.
These images are clearly not perpendicular: ##(0,1,0,0,0,0,0)\rightarrow(1,0)## also, etc.

With 6 DImensions and 2 constraints (your 2 equations) you have four degrees of freedom.
6D vectors that satisfy your equations look like e.g. ##(x-1, x_2, 1-x_1-x_2,x4,x_5,1-x_4-x_5)## so they are definitely not the axes.

Can you elaborate a bit more? In a regular Ax=b formulation, where A is, say, a 3x3 matrix, the columns are vectors in 3D space. the elements of x are 'weighting factors' which multiply the columns (vectors) and the result b is the vector sum.

So we have

\begin{equation*}
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 2 & 3\\
5 & 7 & 8 \\
3 & 1 & 12\\
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
x\\
y \\
z\\
\end{pmatrix}
=
\begin{pmatrix}
1x+2y+3z\\
5x+7y+8z \\
3x+1y+12z\\
\end{pmatrix}
=
x\begin{pmatrix}
1\\
5 \\
3\\
\end{pmatrix}
+
y\begin{pmatrix}
2\\
7 \\
1\\
\end{pmatrix}
+
z\begin{pmatrix}
3\\
8 \\
12\\
\end{pmatrix}
\end{equation*}

Why is this not the same for my example? Why are the columns in my rectangular matrix not 2D vectors?

Urmi Roy said:
Why are the columns in my rectangular matrix not 2D vectors?
Sounds weird when I just wrote
BvU said:
So ##\ (1,0,0,0,0,0,0)\rightarrow(1,0)\ ##etc.
thereby calling them vectors, isn't it ?

Exactly analogous to your 3 x 3 example, where ##
\begin{pmatrix}
1\\
5 \\
3\\
\end{pmatrix}## is the image of unit vector ##
\begin{pmatrix}
1\\
0 \\
0\\
\end{pmatrix}##

BvU said:

6D vectors that satisfy your equations look like e.g. ##(x-1, x_2, 1-x_1-x_2,x4,x_5,1-x_4-x_5)## so they are definitely not the axes.
Ok so thinking about this a bit more, I'm getting most of it. You say that since ##(1,0,0,0,0,0,0)\rightarrow(1,0)##
and also that ##(0,1,0,0,0,0,0)\rightarrow(1,0)##,
The 2D vectors are not perpendicular? I'm just struggling with the idea of why the 2D vectors in their 2D system aren't perpendicular. As I said, it's just easiest for me to imagine them as the x and y axes. Thanks for your help!

Yes, ##(1,0)## and ##(1,0)## are clearly one and the same and therefore not perpendicular. You can't find more than two mutually perpendicular vectors in 2D. As it happens the images of ##(1,0,0,0,0,0)## and ##(0,0,0,1,0,0)## are perpendicular, but you can't say: "the 6 unit vectors in the 6D domain of this matrix have images in the 2D range space that are perpendicular"

Likes Urmi Roy

Related to Understanding rectangular matrices

What is a rectangular matrix?

A rectangular matrix is a table of numbers arranged in rows and columns. It is called rectangular because it has an equal number of rows and columns, unlike square matrices which have an equal number of rows and columns.

What is the purpose of using a rectangular matrix in scientific research?

Rectangular matrices are used in scientific research to represent and manipulate data. They can be used to solve systems of equations, perform transformations, and represent networks and relationships between variables. They are also useful in data analysis and machine learning algorithms.

How do you add or subtract two rectangular matrices?

To add or subtract two rectangular matrices, they must have the same dimensions, meaning they have the same number of rows and columns. To add them, simply add the corresponding elements in each matrix. To subtract them, subtract the corresponding elements in each matrix. The resulting matrix will have the same dimensions as the original two matrices.

What is the determinant of a rectangular matrix?

The determinant of a rectangular matrix is a value that describes the scaling factor of the transformation represented by the matrix. It is calculated by a specific formula based on the elements in the matrix. The determinant is useful in determining if a matrix has an inverse and in solving systems of equations.

How do you find the inverse of a rectangular matrix?

To find the inverse of a rectangular matrix, it must be square and have a non-zero determinant. The inverse is calculated by applying a specific formula to the elements of the matrix. The resulting inverse matrix, when multiplied by the original matrix, will result in the identity matrix. The inverse is useful in solving systems of equations and performing transformations.