Understanding Quaternions Multiplication: Exploring the Algebraic Properties

In summary, the conversation discusses a multiplication problem involving quaternions and the correct solution using exponential terms. The final solution involves the commutativity of scalar terms in quaternion algebra. The person asking for help had initially made a mistake in their solution, but with the help of the expert, they were able to correct it.
amiras

Homework Statement

Its not really homework problem, and you may find it silly because its only multiplication problem, but I cannot get the right answer by multiplying quaternions.

Basically this is what i want to show:

exp(iψ/2)exp(kθ/2)exp(iф/2) = cos(θ/2)exp(i[ψ+ф]/2) + ksin(θ/2)exp(i[ψ-ф]/2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I begin writing:
exp(kθ/2) = cos(θ/2) + ksin(θ/2)

Then multiplying:
exp(iψ/2)*[cos(θ/2) + ksin(θ/2)] = exp(iψ/2)cos(θ/2) + exp(iψ/2)*ksin(θ/2) =
= cos(θ/2)exp(iψ/2) + sin(θ/2) exp(iψ/2)*k

Since scalar terms can are commutative in quaternions algebra.

Finally multiplying answer above with the final exp(iф/2)

[cos(θ/2)exp(iψ/2) + sin(θ/2) exp(iψ/2)*k] * exp(iф/2) =
= cos(θ/2)exp(iψ/2)exp(iф/2) + sin(θ/2)exp(iψ/2)*k*exp(iф/2) =
= cos(θ/2)exp(i(ψ+ф)/2) + sin(θ/2)*k*exp(-iψ/2)*exp(iф/2) =
= cos(θ/2)exp(i(ψ+ф)/2) + k*sin(θ/2)*exp(i(ф-ψ)/2)

Here I used that exp(iψ/2)*k = k*exp(-iψ/2)

And no matter how I do it I always get the same answer, with the last exponential term having ф-ψ, and the paper says it should be ψ-ф

Physics news on Phys.org
hi amiras! :smile:

yours looks correct to me …

exp(iψ/2)exp(kθ/2)exp(iф/2)

= exp(iψ/2)cos(θ/2)exp(iф/2) + exp(iψ/2)ksin(θ/2)exp(iф/2)

= cos(θ/2)exp(i(ψ+ф)/2) + kexp(-iψ/2)sin(θ/2)exp(iф/2)

Thanks for confirming me, from now on I'l stop blindly following and start thinking by myself. :)

Related to Understanding Quaternions Multiplication: Exploring the Algebraic Properties

1. What are quaternions and how are they used in multiplication?

Quaternions are a type of mathematical object used to represent rotations in three-dimensional space. They can be thought of as an extension of complex numbers, with four components instead of two. In multiplication, quaternions are combined using the Hamilton product, which is defined as (a+bi+cj+dk)(x+yi+zj+wk) = (ax-by-cz-dw) + (ay+bx+cz-dw)i + (az-bw+cx+dy)j + (aw+bz-cy+dx)k.

2. How do quaternions differ from other methods of representing rotations?

Unlike other methods, such as Euler angles or rotation matrices, quaternions do not suffer from issues like gimbal lock or singularities. They also have properties that make interpolating between rotations more intuitive and efficient.

3. Can quaternions be used to represent other types of transformations besides rotations?

Yes, quaternions can be used to represent translations and scaling as well. This is done by using a combination of quaternion operations and matrix operations.

4. How are quaternions applied in computer graphics and animation?

Quaternions are commonly used in computer graphics and animation to represent rotations and interpolate between keyframes. They are also used in physics simulations to model rigid body rotations.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using quaternions?

One potential disadvantage of using quaternions is that they are more complex to understand and work with compared to other methods of representing rotations. Additionally, they may be less intuitive for some applications, such as 2D rotations. However, the benefits of using quaternions often outweigh these drawbacks.