Understanding Point Types in Real Analysis

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definitions
In summary, interior and boundary points are points that are inside of a set and points that are on the boundary of a set, respectively. Limit points are points that are both inside and outside of a set.
STEMucator
Homework Helper
Just a few definitions I would like to verify so I'm not studying the wrong stuff.

Interior Point : A point [itex]Q \in S \subseteq ℝ^n[/itex] is an interior point of S if [itex]\forall \delta > 0, \exists N_{\delta}(Q) \subseteq S[/itex]. The interior of S consists of all interior points and is denoted [itex]S˚[/itex]

Boundary Point : A point [itex]Q \in S \subseteq ℝ^n[/itex] is a boundary point of S if [itex]\forall \delta > 0, \exists P_1 \in S \wedge P_2 \in (ℝ^n - S) \space| \space P_1, P_2 \in N_{\delta}(Q)[/itex]

Limit Point : A point [itex]Q \in S \subseteq ℝ^n[/itex] is a limit point of S if [itex]\forall \delta > 0, \exists P \in S \space | \space P \in N_{\delta}(Q), \space P≠Q[/itex]

Trying to condense my stuff, hopefully I'm doing this correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zondrina said:
Just a few definitions I would like to verify so I'm not studying the wrong stuff.

Interior Point : A point [itex]Q \in S \subseteq ℝ^n[/itex] is an interior point of S if [itex]\forall \delta > 0, \exists N_{\delta}(Q) \subseteq S[/itex]. The interior of S consists of all interior points and is denoted [itex]S˚[/itex]

It should be [itex]\exists \delta >0[/itex].

Boundary Point : A point [itex]Q \in S \subseteq ℝ^n[/itex] is a boundary point of S if [itex]\forall \delta > 0, \exists P_1 \in S \wedge P_2 \in (ℝ^n - S) \space| \space P_1, P_2 \in N_{\delta}(Q)[/itex]

Limit Point : A point [itex]Q \in S \subseteq ℝ^n[/itex] is a limit point of S if [itex]\forall \delta > 0, \exists P \in S \space | \space P \in N_{\delta}(Q), \space P≠Q[/itex]

OK. But these definitions also hold if you don't demand [itex]Q\in S[/itex].

micromass said:
It should be [itex]\exists \delta >0[/itex].

OK. But these definitions also hold if you don't demand [itex]Q\in S[/itex].

I thought that it was for all deltas I choose? What if I chose delta so large that my neighborhood was contained in the compliment?

Also, for the purposes of a calc II course, we're assuming Q is inside of the set, so I should be good there for now.

Related to Understanding Point Types in Real Analysis

What is the purpose of verifying definitions?

The purpose of verifying definitions is to ensure that the terms and concepts used in a scientific study are accurately defined and understood. This helps to prevent confusion and promotes consistency in the use of language within the scientific community.

How do scientists verify definitions?

Scientists verify definitions by consulting credible sources, such as textbooks and peer-reviewed articles, to ensure that their understanding of a term or concept aligns with the accepted definition in the scientific community. They may also conduct experiments or studies to test the validity of a definition.

Why is it important to use precise language in scientific definitions?

Precise language in scientific definitions is important because it allows for clear communication and understanding among scientists. It also helps to avoid misunderstandings and ensures that findings and conclusions are based on accurate and agreed-upon definitions.

What happens if a definition is found to be incorrect or outdated?

If a definition is found to be incorrect or outdated, scientists may revise or update it to reflect current understanding or new evidence. This may involve proposing a new definition or modifying an existing one to better align with scientific knowledge and terminology.

Can definitions change over time?

Yes, definitions can change over time as new evidence and understanding emerge. The scientific community is constantly advancing and refining its knowledge, so definitions may be subject to revision as well. However, it is important for scientists to document and communicate any changes to definitions to ensure consistency and accuracy in future studies.