Understanding Phasors: How to Sketch a Voltage Phasor in Polar Form

In summary: It's not written on some great stone tablet that you must use cosine or that you must use sine.If some author chooses an unconventional notation, he/she only need be consistent (and hopefully she/he warns the reader).
sciman
Hello

Excuse me, but how do I sketch the phasor of a voltage that it's V=5cos(10t+30degrees) and how the V=5sin(10t+30degrees) ?

I know that these can be converted as the R<angle polar form, with R being the Vmax, ie the 5, and the angle the phase.

But what doesn't it matter if I have cos or sin?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Cosine is 90 degrees out of phase with sine.

jldibble said:
Cosine is 90 degrees out of phase with sine.
I know that

the problem is how do I represent the cos phasors with polar form complex number and how the sin phasors

sciman said:
Hello

Excuse me, but how do I sketch the phasor of a voltage that it's V=5cos(10t+30degrees) and how the V=5sin(10t+30degrees) ?

I know that these can be converted as the R<angle polar form, with R being the Vmax, ie the 5, and the angle the phase.

But what doesn't it matter if I have cos or sin?

thanks
##\displaystyle e^{i\theta}=\cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta)##

I said polar form, not euler

sciman said:
I said polar form, not Euler
It is the basis for polar.

##\displaystyle 5\cos(\theta)=\text{Re}\left(5e^{i\theta}\right) ##

can you forget altogether Euler?
I only deal with rectangular and polar forms

sciman said:
can you forget altogether Euler?
I only deal with rectangular and polar forms
Excuse me.

I don't know euler

the question is precise:

write in polar form: V=Vmaxsin(100t+30) and V=Vmaxcos(100t+30)

the problem is:
1) do I write Vmax<30 and Vmax<120 ?
2) do I write Vmax<-60 and Vmax<30 ?
something else?

sciman said:
I don't know euler

the question is precise:

write in polar form: V=Vmaxsin(100t+30) and V=Vmaxcos(100t+30)

the problem is:
1) do I write Vmax<30 and Vmax<120 ?
2) do I write Vmax<-60 and Vmax<30 ?
something else?
(In the green bar at the top of the Text Window: Use the X2 button for subscripts, the X2 button for superscripts. It makes V=Vmaxcos(100t+30) be more readable.

Click the big and you get to chose from a set of useful technical characters at the bottom of the text window, including ' ∠ ' . )

In my experience, it's customary to use cosine as the basis, i.e. zero phase, but I have seen sine used on occasion.

Vmax∠-60 and Vmax∠30 seems likely.

but aren't these two differest sets of polar form numbers?
there should be a unique way, they cannot be both valid!

SammyS said:
(In the green bar at the top of the Text Window: Use the X2 button for subscripts, the X2 button for superscripts. It makes V=Vmaxcos(100t+30) be more readable.

Click the big and you get to chose from a set of useful technical characters at the bottom of the text window, including ' ∠ ' . )

In my experience, it's customary to use cosine as the basis, i.e. zero phase, but I have seen sine used on occasion.

Vmax∠-60 and Vmax∠30 seems likely.
It's not written on some great stone tablet that you must use cosine or that you must use sine.

If some author chooses an unconventional notation, he/she only need be consistent (and hopefully she/he warns the reader).

Related to Understanding Phasors: How to Sketch a Voltage Phasor in Polar Form

1. What is the polar form of a phasor?

The polar form of a phasor is a way of representing a complex number in the form of a magnitude and an angle. It is typically written as A∠θ, where A is the magnitude and θ is the angle in radians.

2. How is the polar form of a phasor used in electrical engineering?

In electrical engineering, the polar form of a phasor is used to represent the magnitude and phase of an alternating current (AC) signal. It is commonly used in circuit analysis and designing electrical systems.

3. What is the difference between polar and rectangular form of a phasor?

The rectangular form of a phasor is written as a complex number in the form of A + jB, where A and B are the real and imaginary components, respectively. The polar form, on the other hand, represents the same complex number as A∠θ, where A is the magnitude and θ is the angle in radians.

4. How do you convert a phasor from polar form to rectangular form?

To convert a phasor from polar form to rectangular form, you can use the following equations:
Real component (A) = A * cos(θ)
Imaginary component (B) = A * sin(θ)

5. Why is the polar form of a phasor useful in AC circuit analysis?

The polar form of a phasor allows for easier calculation of AC circuit parameters such as voltage, current, and impedance. It also simplifies the representation of complex numbers and makes it easier to perform mathematical operations on them.