Phasor algebra in AC circuit analysis

In summary: It's always good to have a solid understanding of the concepts rather than blindly applying formulas. However, if you want to learn more about phasor algebra, I would suggest checking out books or online resources specifically on AC circuits.
Titan97
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the peak value of current through the AC source of the following L-C-R circuit, if peak voltage is ##V_0## and angular frequency is ##\omega_0##.
Untitled.png

Homework Equations

I have learned Vector algebra and calculus (single variable). I was taught how to use phasor diagrams for AC circuits. (only the basics).
From my book:

The Attempt at a Solution

$$i_R=\frac{V_0}{R}\sin\omega t$$
$$i_C=V_0\omega C\cos\omega t$$
$$i_L=-\frac{V_0}{\omega L}\cos \omega t$$
$$i=\frac{V_0}{R}\sin\omega t+V_0\big(\omega C-\frac{1}{\omega L}\big)\omega C\cos\omega t$$

If current is taken along positive ##X##-axis, then $$i=\frac{V_0}{Z}=\frac{V_0}{R}+V_0\big(\omega C-\frac{1}{\omega L}\big)j$$

$$\vert Z\vert=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{1}{R^2}+\big(\omega C-\frac{1}{\omega L}\big)^2}}$$

$$i_0=\frac{V_0}{Z}=V_0\sqrt{\frac{1}{R^2}+\big(\omega C-\frac{1}{\omega L}\big)^2}$$

These are the problems I face:
1. The answer given is: $$V_0\big({\frac{1}{R^2}+\big(\omega C-\frac{1}{\omega L}\big)^2}\big)^2$$
(probably a printing error)

2. I applied phasor algebra blindly. Hence, I am not sure if I solved it properly.

3. So should I learn phasor algebra? Can you suggest a book for learning it (or a webpage)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you have solved it correctly! There's definitely a printing mistake in the answer given in the book. If you've done this problem by yourself, then I think you have a proper understanding of phasor algebra.

Related to Phasor algebra in AC circuit analysis

1. What is phasor algebra?

Phasor algebra is a mathematical technique used to simplify the analysis of AC circuits. It involves representing the varying quantities of an AC circuit, such as voltage and current, as complex numbers known as phasors.

2. How is phasor algebra used in AC circuit analysis?

Phasor algebra allows us to treat AC circuits the same way we would treat DC circuits, making it easier to solve and analyze complex circuits. It helps us find the magnitude and phase relationships between different elements in the circuit.

3. What are the benefits of using phasor algebra in AC circuit analysis?

Using phasor algebra helps us avoid dealing with complex differential equations, which can be time-consuming and difficult to solve. It also allows us to easily solve for circuit parameters such as impedance and power factor.

4. Are there any limitations to using phasor algebra in AC circuit analysis?

Phasor algebra assumes that all quantities in the circuit are sinusoidal and that the circuit is in a steady-state. This means that it may not be accurate for circuits with non-sinusoidal waveforms or in transient states.

5. How can I apply phasor algebra in real-world scenarios?

Phasor algebra is used extensively in fields such as electrical engineering, telecommunications, and signal processing to analyze and design AC circuits. It can be used to analyze power systems, electronic circuits, and communication systems, among others.