Understanding Perturbation Theory for the Harmonic Oscillator

In summary: H' is the new potential, which is: V'(x) = \frac{1}{2}(1+\epsilon)kx^2=\frac{1}{2}kx^2+\frac{1}{2}\epsilon kx^2.
JamesJames
For the harmonic oscillator [tex]V(x) = \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex], the allowed energies are [tex]E_n=(n+1/2)h \omega[/tex] where [tex]\omega = \sqrt{k/m}[/tex] is the classical frequency. Now suppose the spring constant increases slightly: k -> [tex](1 + \epsilon)k[/tex]. Calculate the first order perturbation in the energy.

This is 6.2 from Griffith' s book and after this question he gives the following hint although according to me, the hint is more confusing than the question without the hint:

Hint
What is H' here? It is not necessary- in fact it is not permitted - to calculate a single integral in doing this problem.

I understand what the formula looks like..it is
[tex]E_n^1 = <\psi_n^0 |H'| \psi_n^0>[/tex]

but how can this be done without evaluating a single integral? Also what is H' ?

James

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
H' must the perturbation.Namely the small term added to the original hamiltonian and which shifts the energy levels and also the initial quantum states.U need to find that perturbation.

Daniel.

P.S.I think it should be linear term in "epsion"... :rolleyes:

The new potential is: [itex]V'(x)=\frac{1}{2}(1+\epsilon)kx^2=\frac{1}{2}kx^2+\frac{1}{2}\epsilon kx^2[/itex]

Therefore the new hamiltonian is:

[tex]H=H_0+\frac{1}{2}\epsilon kx^2[/tex]
where [itex]H_0[/itex] is the old hamiltonian.

EDIT: Whoops. Forgot the k.

Last edited:
[tex] \frac{1}{2}\epsilon k x^{2} [/itex]

if u drop the k (you have no reason to do that),it won't be that obvious that the perturbation is proportional (and much smaller due to the magnitude of the proportionality constant) to the unperturbed one.

Daniel.

Now just one second...is H' going to affected? It was [tex]\sigma \hbar \omega x\hat[/tex]

I don' t see how this is going to be affected by k changing...[tex]\omega[/tex] contains the [tex]\epsilon[/tex] but [tex]\omega[/tex] itself does not change right? According to me H' must be same :confused:

James

Hold on,that's the problem...Find H'...And then see whether it is any different (than what ?? :confused: )

Daniel.

[tex]E_n^1 = <\phi_n^0 |\sigma \hbar\omega \hat x| \phi_n^0>[/tex] so according to me just the [tex]\omega[/tex] bit will be affected. I don' t see what else in the expression for [tex]E_n^1[/tex] could be affected. i.e. the results of the integrals won' t be affected

James

From the expression u posted,should i understand that
[tex] \hat{H}'=\sigma\hbar\omega\hat{x} [/tex]

?If so,then who's every symbol of the RHS??

Daniel.

Related to Understanding Perturbation Theory for the Harmonic Oscillator

What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a method used in physics and mathematics to approximate the behavior of a system that is slightly different from a known, exactly solvable system. It is based on the assumption that the system can be described as a small deviation from a simpler, exactly solvable system.

What is the purpose of perturbation theory?

The purpose of perturbation theory is to gain insight into the behavior of complex systems by approximating their behavior based on simpler, exactly solvable systems. This allows us to make predictions and calculations that would otherwise be impossible.

What are the main applications of perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory has many applications in physics and mathematics, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, celestial mechanics, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in engineering and other fields to analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems.

What are the limitations of perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is only applicable to systems that are close to a known, exactly solvable system. If the deviation from the simpler system is too large, the results obtained from perturbation theory may not be accurate. Additionally, perturbation theory is not applicable to systems with chaotic behavior.

How is perturbation theory used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, perturbation theory is used to approximate the behavior of a quantum system that is slightly perturbed from a known, exactly solvable system. This allows us to calculate important properties of the system, such as energy levels and transition probabilities, which would be difficult to obtain otherwise.