2nd Order Non-Degenerate TI Perturbation Theory Corrections

In summary: H}_1 \left | \phi_n \right > = E_n^1 + \lambda E_n^2 + \sum_{k \neq n}^{\infty} C_{nk}^1 E_n^1 \delta_{nk} + \lambda \sum_{k \neq n}^{\infty} C_{nk}^2 E_n^1 \delta_{nk} + \lambda E_n^2$$where ##\delta_{nk}## is the Kronecker delta. Simplifying further, we get:$$\left < \phi_n \right | \hat{H}_1 \left | \phi_n \right > = E
BeyondBelief96

Homework Statement

Show that the 2nd order nondegenerate perturbation theory corrections are given by:

##E_n^2 = \sum_{k \neq n}^{\infty} \frac{|\left < \phi_n | \hat{H} | \phi_k \right> |^2}{E_n^0 - E_k^0}##[/B]

and

## C_{nm}^2 = \frac{C_{nm}^1 E_n^1 - \sum_{k \neq n}^{\infty} C_{nk}^1 \left< \phi_m \right | \hat{H}_1 \left | \phi_k \right >}{E_m^0 - E_n ^0} ##

Homework Equations

$$\hat{H} = \hat{H}_0+ \lambda \hat{H}_1$$

$$C_{nk} = \lambda C_{nk}^1 + \lambda^2 C_{nk}^2$$

$$E_n = E_n^0 + \lambda E_n^1 + \lambda^2 E_n^2$$

$$\left| \psi_n \right > = N(\lambda)\left [ \left | \phi_n \right > + \sum_{k \neq n}^{\infty} (\lambda C_{nk}^1 + \lambda^2 C_{nk}^2) \left | \phi_k \right > \right ]$$[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I began by taking the above equations and plugging into the eigenvalue equation: ## \hat{H} \left |\psi_n \right > = E_n \left | \psi_n \right >## and after quite a bit of algebra I got to this point. It would be a lot to type out but I feel confident that I've done it correctly up to here, I could always be wrong though. Anywho, I am currently at the following point.[/B]

$$\sum_{k \neq n}^{\infty} C_{nk}^1 E_k^0 \left | \phi_k \right > + \lambda \sum_{k \neq n}^{\infty} C_{nk}^2 E_k^0 \left | \phi_k \right > + \hat{H}_1 \left | \phi_n \right > = \sum_{k \neq n}^{\infty} C_{nk}^1 E_n^0 \left | \phi_k \right > + \lambda \sum_{k \neq n}^{\infty} C_{nk}^2 E_n^0 \left | \phi_k \right > + E_n^1 \left | \phi_n \right > + \lambda \sum_{k \neq n}^{\infty} C_{nk}^1 E_n^1 \left | \phi_k \right > + \lambda E_n^2 \left | \phi_n \right >$$

Where in the previous step there is just an extra lambda factor, I had just divided out one lambda. I am not sure where to go from here. I know that at some point i need to bra this enter equation with ##\left < \phi_n \right |## so that I can solve for ## E_n^2## . I can see that If I do so, I should get a bunch of terms to be zero but that term that I don't know what to do with is the term on the left side of the equation ##\hat{H}_1 \left | \phi_n \right >##

any help would be appreciated. I could post a picture of previous work potentially, but it was done on a whiteboard.

Attachments

• Photo.jpg
    Photo.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I am a scientist and I can help you with this problem. Let's start by writing out the equation you have derived:

$$\sum_{k \neq n}^{\infty} C_{nk}^1 E_k^0 \left | \phi_k \right > + \lambda \sum_{k \neq n}^{\infty} C_{nk}^2 E_k^0 \left | \phi_k \right > + \hat{H}_1 \left | \phi_n \right > = \sum_{k \neq n}^{\infty} C_{nk}^1 E_n^0 \left | \phi_k \right > + \lambda \sum_{k \neq n}^{\infty} C_{nk}^2 E_n^0 \left | \phi_k \right > + E_n^1 \left | \phi_n \right > + \lambda \sum_{k \neq n}^{\infty} C_{nk}^1 E_n^1 \left | \phi_k \right > + \lambda E_n^2 \left | \phi_n \right >$$

Now, we can take the inner product of this equation with ##\left < \phi_n \right |## to get:

$$\left < \phi_n \right | \hat{H}_1 \left | \phi_n \right > = E_n^1 + \lambda E_n^2 + \sum_{k \neq n}^{\infty} C_{nk}^1 E_n^1 \left < \phi_n \right | \phi_k \right > + \lambda \sum_{k \neq n}^{\infty} C_{nk}^2 E_n^1 \left < \phi_n \right | \phi_k \right > + \lambda E_n^2 \left < \phi_n \right | \phi_n \right >$$

Since ##\left | \phi_n \right >## is an eigenstate of ##\hat{H}_0##, we know that ##\hat{H}_0 \left | \phi_n \right > = E_n^0 \left | \phi_n \right >##. Therefore, we can simplify the above equation to:

$$\left < \phi_n

Related to 2nd Order Non-Degenerate TI Perturbation Theory Corrections

1. What is 2nd Order Non-Degenerate TI Perturbation Theory?

2nd Order Non-Degenerate TI Perturbation Theory is a mathematical method used to calculate corrections to the energy levels of a quantum mechanical system. It is commonly used in the study of electronic systems, such as atoms or molecules, and takes into account the interactions between the electrons and their surrounding environment.

2. What does "non-degenerate" mean in this context?

In this context, "non-degenerate" refers to the fact that the energy levels of the system are distinct and do not have the same value. This is important because the perturbation theory calculations are based on the assumption that the energy levels are non-degenerate.

3. How does 2nd Order Non-Degenerate TI Perturbation Theory differ from 1st Order?

In 1st Order Perturbation Theory, only the first order corrections to the energy levels are considered. This means that the perturbation is applied to the unperturbed energy levels only once. In 2nd Order Perturbation Theory, the perturbation is applied twice, resulting in a more accurate calculation of the energy levels.

4. What are the types of perturbation that can be considered in 2nd Order Non-Degenerate TI Perturbation Theory?

There are two types of perturbation that can be considered: diagonal and off-diagonal. Diagonal perturbation involves interactions between the energy levels of the unperturbed system, while off-diagonal perturbation involves interactions between different energy levels. Both types of perturbation are important to consider in order to accurately calculate the energy corrections.

5. What are the applications of 2nd Order Non-Degenerate TI Perturbation Theory?

2nd Order Non-Degenerate TI Perturbation Theory has many applications in the field of physics, particularly in the study of electronic systems. It is used to calculate energy corrections in atoms, molecules, and solids, and has also been applied in fields such as quantum chemistry and condensed matter physics.