Understanding Percentile Ranks

• B
  • Thread starter Silviu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Percentile
In summary, percentile scores allow you to see how your score compares to a group of students who took the same test. It is not the same as percentage correct scores. If you are in the 97th percentile, it means that you did better than 97% of the students who took the test. However, you do not know how you compare to the other 3% unless they reveal their scores. Percentile scores cannot be rounded up, so a score in the 99.9th percentile is still considered part of the 99th percentile.
Silviu
Hello! I am a bit confused about the percentile rank. Is the value of the percentile a lower or upper bound for your score. What I mean is, if you are let's say 95 percentile out of 100 people, does it means that there is a chance you scored the highest score with other 5 people, or there are 5 people who STRICTLY scored higher than you? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps this will answer it:

http://pareonline.net/getvn.asp?v=1&n=1

WHAT ARE PERCENTILE SCORES?

In contrast to stanines, percentiles give parents a more detailed description of how their children compare with other students who took the test by showing scores that range from 1 to 99.

For example, if a student scored in the 66th percentile on a test, that student achieved a score that is higher than 66%of the other students who took the test. So, if 1,000 students took the test, the student in the 66th percentile scored higher than 660 students.

Do not confuse percentile scores with percentage correct scores. Percentile scores allow you to compare one student's scores with a group of students who took the test. Percentage corrects cores simply reveal the number of items that a student answered correctly out of the total number of items.

jedishrfu said:
Perhaps this will answer it:

http://pareonline.net/getvn.asp?v=1&n=1
Thank you for this, but I am still confused. My question is: If the top 3 students have the same score on an exam (and everyone else has less) and I am one of these 3 students, am I in the 97 percentile or 100 percentile?

If the top 3 students out of 100 students had a tie score then I think they are in the 97th percentile meaning 97 students are below them in score.

I don't think you could ever be in the 100th percentile because that would mean out of 100 students 0 students would be in it.

jedishrfu said:
I don't think you could ever be in the 100th percentile because that would mean out of 100 students 0 students would be in it.
If you round to integers, you could be. If you are the best out of 200 students, then 99.5 out of 100 students are worse than you, that could be rounded to 100.

jedishrfu said:
If the top 3 students out of 100 students had a tie score then I think they are in the 97th percentile meaning 97 students are below them in score.

So if you are in the 97 percentile you did better than 97 percent of the test takers, but you don't know what u did compared to the other 3 percent, right? (you don't know if you had the same score as them or lower)

That's right, unless one of them says to you I'm in the 98th percentile.

mfb said:
If you round to integers, you could be. If you are the best out of 200 students, then 99.5 out of 100 students are worse than you, that could be rounded to 100.
Percentile scores are not upward roundable -- 99.9th percentile means the score has an abundancy of no more than 1 in 1000 -- 98.9th percentile is part of the 98th percentile -- etc..

Related to Understanding Percentile Ranks

1. What is a percentile rank?

A percentile rank is a statistical measure that indicates the percentage of scores that fall below a particular value. It is often used to compare an individual's performance to a larger group.

2. How is a percentile rank calculated?

To calculate a percentile rank, the data is first sorted from lowest to highest. Then, the formula (Number of scores below a particular value / Total number of scores) x 100 is used to determine the percentage of scores that fall below that value.

3. What is the difference between a percentile rank and a percentage?

A percentile rank is a statistical measure that represents the percentage of scores that are below a particular value. In contrast, a percentage is a proportion or ratio of a number out of 100. While both involve percentages, they are used in different contexts and have different meanings.

4. How can percentile ranks be used in interpreting test scores?

Percentile ranks can be used to compare an individual's test score to the performance of a larger group. For example, a score at the 75th percentile means that the individual performed better than 75% of the group. This can help to understand an individual's relative performance and identify strengths and weaknesses.

5. Are percentile ranks affected by the size of the group?

Yes, the size of the group can affect percentile ranks. A larger group will have a wider range of scores, making it more difficult to achieve a high percentile rank. In contrast, a smaller group will have a narrower range of scores, making it easier to achieve a high percentile rank.