What are the odds of getting a number on a hypothetical infinity sided dye?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a die with an infinite number of faces, where every number has an equal chance of being rolled. However, this is not possible as it would result in an infinite expected value. The conversation also mentions the existence of finitely additive probabilities and the impossibility of selecting a whole number at random with no upper limit. Finally, there is a disagreement about the statement that a die with an infinite number of faces approaches the shape of a ball.
KarminValso1724
Let's say for example, there was a dye in which any number with any amount of digits could be scored. You also had an equal chance of scoring every number. Which means that you have the same chance of rolling a 1 as you do 5 billion. If you rolled that dye, how many digits would that number likely be. Considering this, the percentage of numbers that have less than gogol digits compared to an infinite amount of numbers would be infinitesimal . For example, there are a certain amount of numbers that have gogol digits or less. But out of an infinity of numbers, less than 1 in, let's say a quintillion have gogol digits or less. So you have much less than 1 in a quintillion chance of scoring a number that has less than a gogol digits. And that number can be expanded infinitely into something much larger than 1 in a quintillion or gogol digits. Bit a number has to be rolled, and it must represent a finite amount, so how large would that number likely be?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no way, practically or theoretically, of selecting a whole number at random, where there is no upper limit on that number.

An infinite number of disjoint events with equal probability is impossible, since the total probability has to be 1.

Its die, not dye.

KarminValso1724 said:
Let's say for example, there was a dye in which any number with any amount of digits could be scored. You also had an equal chance of scoring every number. Which means that you have the same chance of rolling a 1 as you do 5 billion.

Not possible. If there is an equal chance, the die has a finite number of faces.

In a sense that can be made precise, a die with number of sides approaching infinity approaches the shape of a ball.

The expected value would be infinite. For any proposed finite value, x > 0, you can show that the expected value is larger than x.

With the exception of the spelling correction the previous replies assume that a probability is countably additive. There are many finitely additive probabilities that give probability 0 to each individual number, but certain subsets have probability 1 , including the entire set. For example take any ultrafilter (google it) on the integers and give any member of it probability 1 and any non-member probability 0.

Zafa Pi said:
With the exception of the spelling correction the previous replies assume that a probability is countably additive. There are many finitely additive probabilities that give probability 0 to each individual number, but certain subsets have probability 1 , including the entire set. For example take any ultrafilter (google it) on the integers and give any member of it probability 1 and any non-member probability 0.

Those are quasi-probability. The axioms of probability as commonly understood require countable additivity.

pwsnafu said:
Those are quasi-probability. The axioms of probability as commonly understood require countable additivity.
They are more commonly called finitely additive measures (probabilities). Quasi-probabilities are generally finitely additive, but often have other properties as well and are found in quantum mechanics.
I am a bit surprised that you didn't think I was aware of the usual definition of a probability.
Everything in my post was correct and I was just adding a little pazzazz.

I have discovered ways that, theoretically, a random integer can be selected so that all integers are treated with perfect symmetry.

But of course, this does not translate into any kind of real-valued countably additive measure on the integers for the usual reason: There is no real number which, when added to itself countably many times, sums to 1.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
P.S. "In a sense that can be made precise, a die with number of sides approaching infinity approaches the shape of a ball" is not true. There are more than countably infinitely many ways to have a (compact convex) polyhedron in R3 with countably many faces.

For instance, just take a circle in the xy-plane and mark one point P, and then also points at these fractions of the way around the circle from P: 1/2, 3/4, 7/8, 15/16, ... Connect these successively by lines to get an infinite-sided polygon. Finally pick the point in 3-space that is 1 unit above the center of the circle and use this to create a cone on the polygon. This is the convex hull of all the points we used, so it is convex.

(There are also ways to do this so that each of the infinitely many faces of the polyhedron is just a finite-sided polygon.)

Last edited:
zinq said:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
P.S. "In a sense that can be made precise, a die with number of sides approaching infinity approaches the shape of a ball" is not true. )

EDIT: I may have been too snarky here:this isthe notion of convergence of a sequence of metric spaces , as used in Metric Geometry, which I am referring to

Specifically, the claimed statement is: there is a sequence of maps ##f_n: X_n \rightarrow S^1 ## from compact metric spaces and a sequence ##s_n ## so that each ## f_n ## is an ## s_n ##-isometry. This is statement 7.5.8 in Gromov's "Metric Geometry". A similar argument can be made for ## S^2 ## and, AFAIK for ## S^n ##. If you find something flawed with this statement please let me know.

Last edited:
WWGD, I'd really like to see a quote that makes that claim. (And maybe you're speaking of the book by Burago, Burago, and Ivanov?)

zinq said:
WWGD, I'd really like to see a quote that makes that claim. (And maybe you're speaking of the book by Burago, Burago, and Ivanov?)
Yes, it is the BBIvanov book. Unfortunately I have it in a box somewhere, but I did look up the quote in Google books. I will look up the book; I don't have access to a university library where I stand a resonable chance to find it, but if I do find it, I will state the actual quote.

EDIT: I found this: http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...dorff-convergence-to-a-circle/1116840#1116840

Last edited:
Die with an infinite number of faces? The probability that any given face is rolled is zero. Proof: any number greater than zero leads to a contradiction.

Get used to it.

It IS possible to choose an integer at random with for example P[X=n] = 1/2^n.

Related to What are the odds of getting a number on a hypothetical infinity sided dye?

1. What is a hypothetical infinity sided dye?

A hypothetical infinity sided dye is a theoretical object that has an infinite number of sides, with each side representing a unique number. It is often used in thought experiments and mathematical calculations, but does not exist in reality.

2. What are the odds of getting a number on a hypothetical infinity sided dye?

The odds of getting a number on a hypothetical infinity sided dye would technically be 0, as the number of sides is infinite and therefore the probability of landing on any one side is infinitely small. However, in a theoretical scenario, the odds of landing on a specific number would be 1 in infinity or essentially 0.

3. Can you actually roll a hypothetical infinity sided dye?

No, it is not possible to physically roll a hypothetical infinity sided dye as it does not exist in reality. It is a concept used in theoretical discussions and cannot be replicated in the physical world.

4. How is a hypothetical infinity sided dye different from a regular dice?

A regular dice has a finite number of sides, typically 6, while a hypothetical infinity sided dye has an infinite number of sides. This means that a regular dice can have a predictable outcome, while a hypothetical infinity sided dye has an unpredictable and infinitely small chance of landing on any given side.

5. What is the significance of using a hypothetical infinity sided dye in scientific research?

Hypothetical infinity sided dyes are often used in scientific research, particularly in fields such as mathematics and theoretical physics, to explore and understand complex concepts and theories. They allow scientists to think beyond the limits of our physical world and consider infinite possibilities and scenarios.