Understanding Partial Derivatives and the Wave Equation

In summary, using the chain rule and product rule, we can find the partial derivatives f_{xx} and f_{yy} in terms of f_u, f_v, f_{uu}, f_{vv}, and f_{uv}. The wave equation \frac{\partial^2f}{\partial x^2} - \frac{\partial^2f}{\partial y^2} = 0 is true only when f_{uv} = 0.
TheAntithesis

Homework Statement

Let [itex]f = f(u,v)[/itex] where [itex] u = x+y , v = x-y[/itex]
Find [itex] f_{xx} [/itex] and [itex] f_{yy} [/itex] in terms of [itex] f_u, f_v, f_{uu}, f_{vv}, f_{uv}[/itex]

Then express the wave equation [itex]\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial x^2} - \frac{\partial^2f}{\partial y^2} = 0[/itex]

Homework Equations

Chain rule, product rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved the partial derivatives [itex]f_{xx} = f_{uu) + 2f_{uv} + f_{vv}[/itex] and [itex]f_{yy} = f_{uu) - 2f_{uv} + f_{vv}[/itex]

So then [itex]\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial x^2} - \frac{\partial^2f}{\partial y^2} = 0[/itex] is not true unless [itex]f_{uv} = 0[/itex], how am I meant to express it?

Physics news on Phys.org
TheAntithesis said:

Homework Statement

Let [itex]f = f(u,v)[/itex] where [itex] u = x+y , v = x-y[/itex]
Find [itex] f_{xx} [/itex] and [itex] f_{yy} [/itex] in terms of [itex] f_u, f_v, f_{uu}, f_{vv}, f_{uv}[/itex]

Then express the wave equation [itex]\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial x^2} - \frac{\partial^2f}{\partial y^2} = 0[/itex]

Homework Equations

Chain rule, product rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved the partial derivatives [itex]f_{xx} = f_{uu) + 2f_{uv} + f_{vv}[/itex] and [itex]f_{yy} = f_{uu) - 2f_{uv} + f_{vv}[/itex]

So then [itex]\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial x^2} - \frac{\partial^2f}{\partial y^2} = 0[/itex] is not true unless [itex]f_{uv} = 0[/itex], how am I meant to express it?

You have just expressed it! f_{uv} = 0.

RGV

I was thinking it couldn't be that simple, apparently it is lol, thanks

Related to Understanding Partial Derivatives and the Wave Equation

1. What are partial derivatives and why are they important in science?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative that calculates the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. They are important in science because they help us understand how a system changes with respect to different variables, allowing us to make predictions and analyze complex systems.

2. How do I find partial derivatives?

To find a partial derivative, we use the standard derivative rules and treat all other variables as constants. For example, to find the partial derivative of a function f(x,y) with respect to x, we would differentiate f with respect to x while treating y as a constant.

3. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative calculates the change of a function with respect to one variable, while holding all other variables constant. A total derivative, on the other hand, calculates the overall change in the function with respect to all variables simultaneously.

4. How are partial derivatives used in real-world applications?

Partial derivatives are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in economics to analyze supply and demand curves, in physics to understand the relationship between multiple variables in a system, and in engineering to optimize designs and processes.

5. Can you provide an example of how to use partial derivatives in a problem?

Sure, if we have a function f(x,y) = x^2 + 2xy + y^2, to find the partial derivative of f with respect to x, we would differentiate the function with respect to x while treating y as a constant. This would give us the partial derivative of f with respect to x as 2x + 2y. Similarly, to find the partial derivative of f with respect to y, we would differentiate the function with respect to y while treating x as a constant, giving us the partial derivative of f with respect to y as 2x + 2y.