Understanding Parabola: Investigating a Trajectory Lab

In summary, during the trajectory lab, a ball was released from a ramp on a table and the distance it traveled was measured. When graphing the angle of the ramp vs the distance, a parabola was obtained with a correlation of 0. It was also compared to the trajectory equation. The results showed that the ball traveled the farthest when the ramp was at a 40-50 degree angle. However, at higher angles, the ball began to bounce on the table due to the transition between the ramp and the table, causing it to lose energy. This could explain the decrease in distance traveled and the correlation of 0.
asadpasat

Homework Statement

So I am doing a trajectory lab. I take a ball and release it from the ramp that is on the table and then measure the distance. The thing is when I graph the angle of the ramp vs the distance the ball has fallen I get parabola. And the correlation of parabola is 0

Homework Equations

Parabola has correlation 0. I compared the distance I got with trajectory equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

.[/B]
so what I found if just the angle for which the ball flies the farthest. Could I say that because the correlation is zero the lab was accurate? Or because the correlation is o i had collected bad data?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide more details about the lab setup? I presume that the "distance" you measure is distance from the table to where the ball lands on the floor? Is the ball launched horizontally (say by running across part of the table) or does the ramp provide some other launch angle?

gneill said:
Can you provide more details about the lab setup? I presume that the "distance" you measure is distance from the table to where the ball lands on the floor? Is the ball launched horizontally (say by running across part of the table) or does the ramp provide some other launch angle?
I have a ramp o the table. The ramp is one meter from the edge of the table so I could measure the velocity of the ball. Then when it falls I measure the distance from the table. ( when it falls on the ground) I am altering the degree of the ramp, but when I graph the angle of the ramp vs the distance the ball has fallen, I get parabola. And so I am not sure about the correlation.

This parabola that you're getting, would it happen to be "lying on its side" when you put the distance on the Y-axis and angle on the X-axis?

gneill said:
This parabola that you're getting, would it happen to be "lying on its side" when you put the distance on the Y-axis and angle on the X-axis?
I am getting y=-x^2 sort of shape. So when I do the correlation I get r almost zero

asadpasat said:
I am getting y=-x^2 sort of shape. So when I do the correlation I get r almost zero

The distance the ball travels is getting shorter as the ramp angle increases?

gneill said:
The distance the ball travels is getting shorter as the ramp angle increases?
well, very small angle and the distance is very short. Very steep angle and the distance is also short. So the angle with the greatest distance is around 40, 50 degree.

Does this image more or less correspond to your lab setup?

Fig1.gif

Well I must admit that I'm a bit puzzled. I would have expected the Distance vs Angle relationship to look something like this:

Fig2.gif

There must be some complication involved that I'm not seeing. Perhaps after some angle the ball is sliding more than rolling down the ramp, causing it to slow down as it traverses the table due to friction with the table surface?

I'm presuming that the effects of rotational kinetic energy are meant to be ignored in this lab? (Some of the energy that the ball gains by falling through the height of the ramp will go into its linear speed, some into its rotational speed).

Is the release position (where the ball is let go) on the ramp always the same?

gneill said:
Well I must admit that I'm a bit puzzled. I would have expected the Distance vs Angle relationship to look something like this:

View attachment 78790

There must be some complication involved that I'm not seeing. Perhaps after some angle the ball is sliding more than rolling down the ramp, causing it to slow down as it traverses the table due to friction with the table surface?

I'm presuming that the effects of rotational kinetic energy are meant to be ignored in this lab? (Some of the energy that the ball gains by falling through the height of the ramp will go into its linear speed, some into its rotational speed).

Is the release position (where the ball is let go) on the ramp always the same?
well, from your picture when you have ramp on 90 degrees the ball goes farthest but how can it if you just throw it down and it stays on the table without actually roling down the table. Like you just take it and throw it down on the table. ( 90 degrees on the ramp)

asadpasat said:
well, from your picture when you have ramp on 90 degrees the ball goes farthest but how can it if you just throw it down and it stays on the table without actually roling down the table. Like you just take it and throw it down on the table. ( 90 degrees on the ramp)
The picture is not meant to be taken literally at the extremes. It's based on a theoretical calculation that ignores the details of the ramp/table transition.

Of course your observation brings up a good point, did the ball begin to noticeably bounce at the interface after some angle?

gneill said:
The picture is not meant to be taken literally at the extremes. It's based on a theoretical calculation that ignores the details of the ramp/table transition.

Of course your observation brings up a good point, did the ball begin to noticeably bounce at the interface after some angle?
Yes,when I got to the higher degree the ball was bouncing on the table because of the transition as you mentioned as it was not very smooth, and that is where the ball lost most of the energy.

asadpasat said:
Yes,when I got to the higher degree the ball was bouncing on the table because of the transition as you mentioned as it was not very smooth, and that is where the ball lost most of the energy.
I see. So those results are likely to be "contaminated" by factors not measured or accounted for;
Lot's of different physics coming into play.

Perhaps you can select a subset of your data where you are sure any bouncing or sliding didn't occur and the ball was traveling fast enough not to lose too large a fraction of its kinetic energy to rolling friction, and look at those results as a sub-investigation?

I'm not saying to ignore the other data! It must be presented as results of the lab, but a discussion in your error analysis or discussion of results sections might touch on this topic, and a look at the "sweet spot" results would be a good argument.

Theoretically, only taking into account simple projectile motion and energy conservation I would expect the distance to vary as the square root of the sign of the ramp angle: ## X \propto \sqrt{sin(\theta)} ##.

Related to Understanding Parabola: Investigating a Trajectory Lab

1. What is a parabola?

A parabola is a symmetrical curve that is formed when a cone intersects with a plane. It is a common shape in nature and has many real-world applications, such as in the trajectories of projectiles.

2. How do you graph a parabola?

To graph a parabola, you can use a set of coordinates and plot points on a graph. Alternatively, you can also use the equation of a parabola, y = ax² + bx + c, to determine the shape and position of the parabola on a graph.

3. What is the focus of a parabola?

The focus of a parabola is a fixed point on the interior of the curve that is equidistant from all points on the parabola. It is also known as the focal point and is an important element in understanding the trajectory of a parabola.

4. How does a parabola relate to projectile motion?

When an object is launched into the air at an angle, it follows a parabolic path due to the force of gravity. This is known as projectile motion. The trajectory of a projectile can be modeled using a parabola, making it a useful tool for understanding and predicting the motion of objects.

5. What is the importance of investigating a parabola's trajectory in a lab?

Investigating a parabola's trajectory in a lab allows us to better understand and visualize the concept of projectile motion. By collecting and analyzing data from experiments, we can also verify the mathematical equations and principles that govern parabolic motion. This helps us apply our knowledge to real-world situations, such as designing efficient and accurate trajectories for objects in motion.