Understanding Normal One-Forms for Plane x=0

In summary, the conversation discusses question 12 on page 83 of Schutz's first course in relativity book. It clarifies that a normal one-form to a plane is a one-form that, when operated on by a normal vector to the plane, results in 0. The question focuses on the plane x=0 and explains that all vectors normal to this plane must be parallel to the x-axis. The normal one-form in this case must have components (0,b,c). Part (c) of the question asks to show that any normal to S is a multiple of this normal one-form. The provided answer states that on the Cartesian basis, any \tilde{n} is a multiple of any other. However, the understanding
Mmmm
I'm reading through Schutz's first course in relativity book and am finding question 12 on page 83 a bit problematic.

If I understand it correctly an normal one-form to a plane is a one-form that, when operating on a normal vector to the plane, will give the result 0. This seems fairly straight forward to me.
The question is talking about the plane x=0.
So all vectors normal to this must be of the form (a,0,0) (ie parallel to the x axis)
In that case, the normal one form must have components (0,b,c) then
[tex]\tilde{n}(\vec{V})= 0*a+b*0+c*0=0[/tex]

Part (c) of the question says
Show that any normal to S is a multiple of [tex]\tilde{n}[/tex]
and the answer provided is:
On the Cartesian basis, the components of [tex]\tilde{n}[/tex] are (0,0,[tex]\beta[/tex]) for some [tex]\beta[/tex]. Thus any [tex]\tilde{n}[/tex] is a multiple of any other.
But my understanding is that (0,0,[tex]\beta[/tex]) is just a subset of all possible normal one forms to this plane, and I'd agree that of this subset any [tex]\tilde{n}[/tex] is a multiple of any other. But this isn't true for all [tex]\tilde{n}[/tex], as surley (0,[tex]\alpha, \beta[/tex]) is also valid.

Obviously I'm missing something fairly fundamental here, and I just have to understand this before I move on... Please help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh... I am being stupid.. Just realized that the one-form has to operate on a vector tangent to the surface, not the vector normal... I really should read more carefully...:blushing:
now the one-form is actually perpendicular to the plane and so calling it a normal one-form to the plane makes much more sense!

Last edited:

Related to Understanding Normal One-Forms for Plane x=0

1. What are one-forms?

One-forms are mathematical objects used in multivariable calculus and differential geometry to represent linear functions on vector spaces. They are often used to describe the rate of change of a function with respect to different variables.

2. What is the significance of the plane x=0 in understanding normal one-forms?

The plane x=0 is a special case where the normal vector is always parallel to the yz-plane. This makes it easier to visualize and understand the concept of normal one-forms, as the normal vector and one-form are directly related in this case.

3. How do you determine the normal one-form for a given plane x=0?

The normal one-form for a plane x=0 is simply the coefficient of the x variable in the equation of the plane. For example, if the equation is y+z=3, the normal one-form would be 1x=0, or simply 1.

4. What is the purpose of understanding normal one-forms for plane x=0?

Understanding normal one-forms for plane x=0 can help in solving problems related to finding tangent planes, calculating directional derivatives, and understanding the geometry of surfaces in three-dimensional space.

5. Are normal one-forms only applicable to the plane x=0?

No, normal one-forms can be used to describe surfaces in any direction in three-dimensional space. The plane x=0 is just a special case where the normal vector is parallel to the yz-plane, making it easier to visualize and understand the concept.