Understanding NMR Spectroscopy: What is P, I & m_I?

In summary, the chapter on nuclear angular momentum in NMR spectroscopy discusses the concepts of spin number (I), nuclear spin angular momentum (P), and quantum number (m_I). I is a quantum number that describes the quantization of P, the actual angular momentum eigenvalue. m_I is similar to the quantum number m_s for the electron and describes the quantization of one component of the angular momentum vector.
gravenewworld
I'm trying to teach myself the theory behind NMR spectroscopy, but I am having some trouble with some pchem/physics concepts that I have never seen before.

The chapter I am currently on talks about the quantization of nuclear angular momentum. What I don't understand is, what is the difference between spin number (I) and nuclear spin angular momentum which my book gives as

P=h/2pi (I(I+1))^1/2

I have looked up what nuclear spin number (I) means on some physics websites and they state that I is the total angular momentum of the nuclei so I don't really understand what P really is if I is the total angular momentum of the nuclei.

Another term they talk about in the chapter is quantum number m_I (is this almost the same thing as the quantum number m_s for the electron?).

Given a magnetic field of strength B (in the z direction)a magnetic moment u would have an energy U given by

U=-u.B=-u_zB where u_z is the z component of u. They then go on to show that the energy is given by

U=-y(h/2pi)m_IB (y is the magnetogyric ratio) and state that there are 2I+1 values for m_I.Could someone please explain P, I, and m_I ?? sorry for the equations, I don't know how to use latex.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I is simply a "quantum number" (just like the n, l, m that you are familiar with for an electron in a central potential; in this case, I is similar to the l quantum number, though it's closer to the electron spin quantum number s) - it is not the actual angular momentum. P is the actual angular momentum eigenvalue - it is what a single measurement of the total angular momentum will give (just as a measurement of the electron's orbital angular momentum, L, will tell you whether it is in an l=0,1,2,... state -ie: is an s, p, d... electron).

Just as I is a number that describes the quantization of the total angular momentum P, the number m_I describes the quantization of another observable, P_z (one component of the angular momentum vector). Yes, it is analogous to the m_s, which describes the quantization of S_z (any measurement of S_z will produce a result that is multiple of /hbar; this multiplication factor is designated m_s).

Last edited:

P, I, and m_I are all important concepts in understanding NMR spectroscopy. Let's break down each term and explain their significance.

P stands for the nuclear spin quantum number, also known as the spin number. It is a fundamental property of a nucleus that describes its intrinsic angular momentum. This number is always a half-integer for nuclei with an odd number of protons or neutrons, and an integer for nuclei with an even number of protons and neutrons. P is related to the total angular momentum of a nucleus, which is what you saw on the physics websites. The equation you mentioned, P=h/2pi (I(I+1))^1/2, is known as the nuclear spin formula, and it relates the spin quantum number to the total angular momentum of a nucleus (I).

I, as mentioned above, is the total angular momentum of a nucleus. It is a vector quantity that is the sum of the individual angular momenta of the protons and neutrons in the nucleus. The value of I is determined by the number of protons and neutrons in a nucleus and can range from 0 to a maximum value that depends on the type of nucleus. For example, the most common isotope of hydrogen, which has one proton and no neutrons, has a spin quantum number of 1/2.

m_I is the magnetic quantum number and is related to the orientation of the nuclear spin in a magnetic field. It represents the number of possible orientations a nucleus can have in a magnetic field. Just like the electron's magnetic quantum number (m_s), which describes the orientation of the electron's spin in an external magnetic field, m_I describes the orientation of the nucleus's spin in a magnetic field.

In the equation U=-y(h/2pi)m_IB, U represents the energy of the nucleus in a magnetic field, u is the magnetic moment of the nucleus, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and y is the gyromagnetic ratio, which is a constant for each type of nucleus. This equation shows that the energy of a nucleus in a magnetic field is directly proportional to the magnetic moment and the strength of the magnetic field, and inversely proportional to the gyromagnetic ratio.

In summary, P, I, and m_I all play important roles in understanding the behavior of nuclei in a magnetic field, which is the basis of NMR spectroscopy. I hope this helps clarify these concepts for you.

Related to Understanding NMR Spectroscopy: What is P, I & m_I?

1. What is NMR spectroscopy?

NMR spectroscopy is a technique used in chemistry and biochemistry to study the structure and dynamics of molecules. It involves the use of a strong magnetic field to observe the behavior of atomic nuclei in a sample.

2. What is the significance of P, I, and m_I in NMR spectroscopy?

P, I, and m_I are quantum numbers that describe the properties of atomic nuclei in NMR spectroscopy. P represents the principal quantum number, I represents the nuclear spin quantum number, and m_I represents the magnetic quantum number. These numbers help determine the energy levels and transitions of nuclei in a magnetic field.

3. How does NMR spectroscopy work?

NMR spectroscopy works by subjecting a sample to a strong magnetic field, which causes the atomic nuclei to align either with or against the field. A radio frequency pulse is then applied, causing the nuclei to absorb and emit energy at specific frequencies. This energy can be detected and analyzed to determine the structure and dynamics of the sample.

4. What types of information can be obtained from NMR spectroscopy?

NMR spectroscopy can provide information about the chemical structure, molecular dynamics, and interactions of a sample. It can also be used to identify and quantify different types of atoms and functional groups in a molecule.

5. What are the applications of NMR spectroscopy?

NMR spectroscopy has a wide range of applications in various fields, including chemistry, biochemistry, medicine, and materials science. It is used for drug discovery, protein structure determination, quality control of food and pharmaceutical products, and many other purposes.