Confusion regarding Quantum numbers

In summary, The conversation covers various topics related to quantum numbers and their significance in different physical situations. The confusion arises around the definition and interpretation of orbital and spin angular momentum, as well as the calculation of magnetic moment and momentum for particles in different states. It also raises questions about the use of different masses in different equations.
subhradeep mahata
Homework Statement
Given in the "Attempt at a solution section".
Relevant Equations
Given in the "Attempt at a solution section".
Problem Statement: Given in the "Attempt at a solution section".
Relevant Equations: Given in the "Attempt at a solution section".

Problem Statement: Given in the "Attempt at a solution section".
Relevant Equations: Given in the "Attempt at a solution section".

I am having some serious confusion regarding the following terms:
1) According to Bohr's quantization of angular momentum, mvr=nh/2π. My question is what kind of angular momentum is that? Is the the "orbit angular momentum"?
2) Orbital angular momentum= {l(l+1)}1/2 BM. Again, I fail to understand what it's significance is.
3) I have been told that the spin angular momentum = {S(S+1)}1/2 BM where S=n/2. However, I also read somewhere that the value of S is fixed for objects spinning around their axis (1/2 for an electron, +-1/2 is the spin quantum number). So, which of them is correct?
4) Whenever we say "magnetic moment", do we mean the "spin only" magnetic moment which is equal to {n(n+2)}1/2 BM?
5) This one is not related to quantum numbers. We know that de broglie wavelength for an unchargen particle in non-relativistic situation=h/p where p is the momentum (=m*v). For gaseous molecules, we take 'v' as the root mean square speed (={3RT/M}1/2). My question is, in the formula or root mean square speed, 'M' is the molar mass of the gas, so to calculate the momentum (=m*vrms), do we have to take the molar mass of the gas in place of 'm'?

Please have a look at them and reply as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) This is orbital angular momentum in the Bohr model, but it's not what is meant by "orbital angular momentum" in QM, which depends on l, not n.
2) One way to look at it is like this: For an electron with quantum numbers n, l, the wavefunction has a total of (n-1) nodes, of which l are angular nodes. The more nodes, the higher the energy, and the more angular nodes, the higher the orbital kinetic energy (and also angular momentum). Note that an s orbital has zero orbital angular momentum, in contradiction to the Bohr model.
3) Who told you S = n/2? I never heard that before. You are right that S = 1/2 for an electron, mS = ±1/2. (Note: S = n/2 if n is the number of parallel unpaired electrons - nothing to do with the quantum number n!)
4) I don't understand this, as spin is nothing to do with n. (Note: if n is unpaired electrons again, {S(S+1)}½ = {n(n+2)}½/2)
5) For the momentum of a particle, you need the mass of the particle, not the molar mass. You can also use the particle mass in the expression for rms speed, if you write it as {3kBT/m}½.

1. What are quantum numbers?

Quantum numbers are a set of numerical values that describe the state and properties of an electron in an atom. They are used to understand and predict the behavior of electrons in the atomic structure.

2. How many quantum numbers are there?

There are four quantum numbers: the principal quantum number (n), the angular momentum quantum number (l), the magnetic quantum number (ml), and the spin quantum number (ms).

3. What is the significance of each quantum number?

The principal quantum number determines the energy level of an electron, the angular momentum quantum number specifies the shape of the electron's orbital, the magnetic quantum number determines the orientation of the orbital, and the spin quantum number indicates the spin of the electron.

4. How do quantum numbers relate to electron configuration?

The arrangement of electrons in an atom is determined by the values of the quantum numbers. The principal quantum number corresponds to the electron's energy level, the angular momentum quantum number corresponds to the sublevel (s, p, d, or f), the magnetic quantum number determines the orbital, and the spin quantum number specifies the spin of the electron.

5. Can quantum numbers be used to predict the exact location of an electron?

No, quantum numbers do not provide an exact location of an electron. They only describe the probability of finding an electron in a certain region of space around the nucleus. The uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of an electron at the same time.