Understanding Neutrino Detectors & All-Neutrino Detection

In summary, there are various types of fluids used in neutrino detectors including tetrachloroethylene and heavy water. These substances were chosen based on their ability to interact with neutrinos and create detectable reactions. In some cases, only one element within the molecule is studied because it allows for the study of a specific interaction. The Sudbury Neutrino Observatory (SNO) is no longer operational, but there are other detectors that can detect all neutrino events, not just electron-neutrino events. The detection of a neutrino strike can result in a shower of electrons due to subsequent electron interactions. Liquid scintillator is a type of fluid used in some detectors, while iron can also be used in either solid or mol
bbbl67
Now my understanding of neutrino detectors is that there are two common fluids used in the detectors, either Tetrachloroethylene (C2Cl4) aka "dry-cleaning fluid", and heavy water (D20). Why were these substances chosen specifically? Is there something about the elements within these substances that make them easier to study vs. any other element on the periodic table?

Also within these two substances, only one of the elements in each is singled out for study. In the case of C2Cl4, it is the Chlorine that is studied, and not the Carbon. In the heavy water, it is the Deuterium that is studied and not the Oxygen. Why is that? Isn't a neutrino just as likely to hit the Carbon or the Oxygen atoms, in each case?

Now, a related question. Is the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory (SNO) the only one in the world that can detect all neutrino events, and not just electron-neutrino events, or are there others now? SNO uses heavy water, is heavy water better for all-neutrino detection vs. C2Cl4? According to the following article, under the section about Cerenkov radiation:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/einvel.html

According to the above, a muon-neutrino strike maintains a very well-defined light-cone, whereas an electron-neutrino strike results in an electron shower which produces a very diffuse light-cone. Why should there be an electron shower from a single electron-neutrino hit, while a muon-neutrino hit doesn't result in a muon shower? Aren't each neutrino strike just producing one electron or one muon, respectively? Why should there even be a shower of electrons, when only one new electron is produced?

Physics news on Phys.org
bbbl67 said:
Now my understanding of neutrino detectors is that there are two common fluids used in the detectors, either Tetrachloroethylene (C2Cl4) aka "dry-cleaning fluid", and heavy water (D20).

No, these are only two choices that have been used historically. Other choices include regular water (eg, Super-K), liquid scintillator (eg, LSND, NOvA), iron (eg, INO), and emulsions (eg, OPERA).

bbbl67 said:
Also within these two substances, only one of the elements in each is singled out for study. In the case of C2Cl4, it is the Chlorine that is studied, and not the Carbon. In the heavy water, it is the Deuterium that is studied and not the Oxygen. Why is that? Isn't a neutrino just as likely to hit the Carbon or the Oxygen atoms, in each case?

This is a matter of how the detection process works and how the physics allows the neutrinos in study to react with the different elements.

In the chlorine case, the search was for solar neutrinos and the interactions with chlorine left a particular residual atom that could be searched for. In the case of the deuterium in the SNO detector, it was because it allowed for the study of a particular interaction that has the same strength regardless of the neutrino flavour.

bbbl67 said:
Is the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory (SNO) the only one in the world that can detect all neutrino events, and not just electron-neutrino events, or are there others now? SNO uses heavy water, is heavy water better for all-neutrino detection vs. C2Cl4?

SNO is decommissioned and therefore no longer operational. Any other water Cherenkov detector will also be sensitive to other neutrino flavours, but not as strongly as to electron neutrinos (the cross section is about 1/6th for other flavours). For the neutral current process in SNO, all flavours interact with equal strength. Furthermore, for the charged current process in SNO, only electron neutrinos were relevant. The chlorine experiments were based on inverse beta decay and therefore only sensitive to electron neutrinos.

bbbl67 said:
Aren't each neutrino strike just producing one electron or one muon, respectively? Why should there even be a shower of electrons, when only one new electron is produced?

Yes, the neutrino strikes a single electron. The shower is a result from the subsequent electron interactions.

Orodruin said:
Other choices include regular water (eg, Super-K), liquid scintillator (eg, LSND, NOvA), iron (eg, INO), and emulsions (eg, OPERA).

As well as liquid hydrogen, and a liquid hydrogen/neon mixture (in the http://history.fnal.gov/neutrino.html#15); and halon (CF3Br, in the Gargamelle bubble chamber at CERN).

Last edited:
Orodruin said:
No, these are only two choices that have been used historically. Other choices include regular water (eg, Super-K), liquid scintillator (eg, LSND, NOvA), iron (eg, INO), and emulsions (eg, OPERA).
What is liquid scintillator exactly?

In the case of iron, is that just solid iron, or is it molten?

Orodruin said:
This is a matter of how the detection process works and how the physics allows the neutrinos in study to react with the different elements.

In the chlorine case, the search was for solar neutrinos and the interactions with chlorine left a particular residual atom that could be searched for. In the case of the deuterium in the SNO detector, it was because it allowed for the study of a particular interaction that has the same strength regardless of the neutrino flavour.
Understood, but why exactly were certain elements within the molecules excluded? In the case of dry-cleaning fluid, it was the carbons that were ignored. In the case of water, it was the oxygens that were ignored.

Orodruin said:
Yes, the neutrino strikes a single electron. The shower is a result from the subsequent electron interactions.
Okay, so I can understand a hgh-speed electron smashing through a cloud of other electrons and causiong havoc That's because electrons all have the same charge, and other electrons want to get away from it. However, muons also have the same charge as electrons. Why wouldn't a high-speed muon also crash through a cloud of elecctrons and create a shower of electrons too?

bbbl67 said:
What is liquid scintillator exactly?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillator

bbbl67 said:
In the case of iron, is that just solid iron, or is it molten?
Why on Earth would you use molten iron?

bbbl67 said:
Understood, but why exactly were certain elements within the molecules excluded
I already told you this. They do not participate in reactions that are detectable.

bbbl67 said:
However, muons also have the same charge as electrons.
The charge is not the important parameter. The mass plays a huge role and the muon is 200 times more massive. You should be able to find this described in any basic text on how particles interact with a medium.

bbbl67 said:
That's because electrons all have the same charge, and other electrons want to get away from it.
Not only (I guess you are referring to electron scattering off other electrons)...
there is Brehmstrahlung radiation (gammas) from the electron which produces e+e- pairs...then they also interact with other electrons and can give further photons and electron/positron pairs. The whole thing ends up to an electromagnetic shower.
The power radiated away by a particle with Brehmstrahlung radiation depends on the particle's mass- and so the electrons tend to radiate away more energy than muons...
Why are you studying neutrino detectors?

ChrisVer said:
Not only (I guess you are referring to electron scattering off other electrons)...
there is Brehmstrahlung radiation (gammas) from the electron which produces e+e- pairs...then they also interact with other electrons and can give further photons and electron/positron pairs. The whole thing ends up to an electromagnetic shower.
The power radiated away by a particle with Brehmstrahlung radiation depends on the particle's mass- and so the electrons tend to radiate away more energy than muons...
So a less massive particle, radiates away more power than a more massive one? I guess I already should've known that, as taking a proton through a circular particle accelerator doesn't result in much Brehmstrahlung radiation, but doing the same thing to an electron does. Is there some formula that shows this relationship between generated Brehmstrahlung and mass?

ChrisVer said:
Why are you studying neutrino detectors?
I'm not really sure anymore, I guess curiosity really. I think I was just reading about something else, and that got me off on a tangent towards neutrino detectors. Often happens with me, I got a million questions saved up inside me, and I usually forget most of them, and then every once in a while, one comes back to the forefront and I got to figure it out completely, before I forget it again.

Oh, BTW, I just remembered what led me to it. Somebody recently asked me something about the Weak Force, and the functional differences between the W & Z bosons, especially the Z. That then led to my sudden curiosity about neutrinos again, since they are involved in so many of the transformations caused by the Weak. I'm not a physicist, just a layman: I got a background in engineering, but not particle physics.

ChrisVer said:
Perfect, thanks! Interestingly, there seems to be a recurring theme in many areas of physics which seem to show that a lower-mass object seems to lose more energy than a higher mass object, for example, smaller black holes lose more energy due to Hawking Radiation than larger ones.

Well the mass powers don't coincide...

Bremsstrahlung, from German "bremsen" (brake) and "strahlung" (radiation). No h in "brems", two s.
bbbl67 said:
I guess I already should've known that, as taking a proton through a circular particle accelerator doesn't result in much Brehmstrahlung radiation, but doing the same thing to an electron does.
This is not bremsstrahlung, it is synchrotron radiation.

The interaction of charged particles with matter or electromagnetic fields mainly depends on the speed, for high-energetic particles expressed as the Lorentz factor ##\gamma##. To reach the same gamma-factor, protons need a factor 2000 more energy than electrons, muons need a factor 200 more. That is rarely the case, so electrons are typically the fastest particles around, which also means they lose the most energy.

This has nothing to do with Hawking radiation.

mfb said:
Bremsstrahlung, from German "bremsen" (brake) and "strahlung" (radiation). No h in "brems", two s.This is not bremsstrahlung, it is synchrotron radiation.
Okie-dokie.

mfb said:
The interaction of charged particles with matter or electromagnetic fields mainly depends on the speed, for high-energetic particles expressed as the Lorentz factor ##\gamma##. To reach the same gamma-factor, protons need a factor 2000 more energy than electrons, muons need a factor 200 more. That is rarely the case, so electrons are typically the fastest particles around, which also means they lose the most energy.
So, it's caused by Relativistic speeds?

mfb said:
This has nothing to do with Hawking radiation.
Well obviously not, it's just an interesting observation. Perhaps a coincidence, that's all.

bbbl67 said:
So, it's caused by Relativistic speeds?
Yes, all the effects discussed are negligible or don't happen at nonrelativistic speeds.

Likes bbbl67

Related to Understanding Neutrino Detectors & All-Neutrino Detection

1. What are neutrino detectors and why are they important?

Neutrino detectors are devices designed to detect and measure the presence of neutrinos, which are subatomic particles with very low mass and no electric charge. These detectors are important because they allow scientists to study and understand the behavior of neutrinos, which are abundant in the universe and play a crucial role in many physical processes.

2. How do neutrino detectors work?

Neutrino detectors typically use large tanks of liquid or arrays of sensors buried deep underground to detect the interaction of neutrinos with other particles. When a neutrino collides with an atom in the detector, it creates a small but measurable signal that can be recorded and analyzed to determine the properties of the neutrino.

3. What is all-neutrino detection?

All-neutrino detection refers to the ability to detect all types of neutrinos, including all three flavors (electron, muon, and tau) and both neutrinos and antineutrinos. This is important because different types of neutrinos have different properties and interactions, and studying all of them is crucial for a complete understanding of neutrino physics.

4. What are the challenges in understanding neutrino detection?

One of the main challenges in understanding neutrino detection is that neutrinos have very weak interactions with matter, making them difficult to detect. This requires detectors to be very sensitive and well-shielded from other particles and radiation. Additionally, neutrinos can change flavors as they travel, making it challenging to accurately measure their properties.

5. What are some current advancements in neutrino detection technology?

Recent advancements in neutrino detection technology include the development of more sensitive and precise detectors, such as the Super-Kamiokande and IceCube experiments. There is also ongoing research into new detection methods, such as using scintillation materials or building large-scale detectors in space to overcome the limitations of Earth-based detectors.