Understanding Lenz' Law as it applies to a magnet falling in a tube

In summary, a bar magnet falling vertically through a coil of wire produces a potential difference across the coil, which is recorded by a datalogger. This can be explained using Faraday's and Lenz' laws. The graph of the potential difference shows a negative EMF as the magnet falls towards the coil, reaches zero at the center, and becomes positive as the magnet moves away from the coil. This can be attributed to the changing rate of flux cutting and the direction of the current induced by Lenz' law. The peak magnitude of the EMF in the second half of the magnet's fall is higher due to the decreasing rate of flux linkage and the force of the current acting against the magnet's downward motion.
bob12321
Hi All! This is my first question/post here, so I will try to make it work!

Homework Statement

Ok, so the question is simple-ish.

A bar magnet falls vertically from rest through a coil of wire. The potential difference (pd) across the coil is recorded by a datalogger.

[Click here for picture]

Explain, with reference to Faraday's and Lenz' laws, the shape of the graph.

Homework Equations

Faradays Law (ε=-NΔΘ/ΔT)

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I understand the concept that as the magnet is falling towards the coil, the coil is cutting through the magnetic flux at a faster and faster rate (and from the equation, must result in a negative EMF that goes more negative).

I also understand that when the magnet is at the middle of the coil, the rate of flux cutting is the same on both sides of the magnet (and thus EMF is instantaneously zero) and, afterwards, the emf is positive as the rate of flux linkage is actually negative (as the magnet is moving away from the coil).

In terms of Lenz' law, I understand that initially, a current will be induced in the coil so as to counteract the motion of the magnet (which is causing the flux linkage). This force will act upwards against the magnet as the magnet falls into the coil initially (and thus the EMF will be somewhat lower than the value without Lenz' law).

What I can't seem to understand is how to rationalise the direction of the Lenz' Law "force" on the magnet after it has passed through the centre of the coil. I presume that since the rate of flux linkage is decreasing, and this is caused by the downward motion of the magnet, the force from the current will act upward to counteract this downward motion. However I do not get how this therefore means that the peak magnitude of the EMF in the second "portion" of the magnet's fall is higher than the peak magnitude of the EMF in the first "portion" of the magnet's fall (as the graph demonstrates). Any help here would be very greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Bob12321 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
May be the magnet wasn't moving at constant speed.

Related to Understanding Lenz' Law as it applies to a magnet falling in a tube

1. What is Lenz' Law?

Lenz' Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that states that the direction of an induced current in a conductor will always oppose the change in magnetic field that caused it.

2. How does Lenz' Law apply to a magnet falling in a tube?

When a magnet falls through a conducting tube, it creates a changing magnetic field. According to Lenz' Law, this changing magnetic field induces a current in the tube that creates a magnetic field in the opposite direction, slowing down the magnet's fall.

3. Why does the magnet fall slower in a conducting tube?

The opposing magnetic field created by the induced current in the tube exerts a force on the falling magnet, slowing it down. This is in accordance with Lenz' Law, which states that the induced current will always oppose the change in magnetic field that caused it.

4. Does Lenz' Law apply to all magnets?

Yes, Lenz' Law applies to all magnets, regardless of their shape, size, or type. As long as a magnet is falling through a conducting tube, it will experience a force due to Lenz' Law.

5. Can Lenz' Law be applied to other situations besides a magnet falling in a tube?

Yes, Lenz' Law can be applied to various situations involving changing magnetic fields and induced currents, such as in generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is a fundamental law of electromagnetism and is applicable in many different scenarios.