Understanding inverse functions

In summary, the conversation discussed how the graph of the function f(x) = 3(x + 1)^2 - 12 is a parabola with a y-intercept at -9 and a vertex at -12. The image set is a closed interval of {-12, infinity}, and the domain is {-3 < x < 1}. It was also mentioned that the function does not have an inverse, despite being a parabola. The reason for this is that a function must be single-valued, meaning that every horizontal line must intersect the curve at only one point. However, the graph of f(x) intersects the horizontal line y=u at two points, making it not single-val
Casio1
I have a graph f(x) = 3(x + 1)^2 - 12 , I have sketched this graph (Not shown) hand it is a parabola with a y- intercept at - 9. the vertex being - 12.

The image set is a closed interval {- 12, infinity} Sorry no square brackets and no sign for infinity.

I am asked to explain why the function of f does not have an inverse?

Given that the graph is a parabola I would have thought that the graph did have an inverse?

The domain {-3 < x < 1}

I am missing something here in the understanding if anyone can advise It would be much appreciated.

Sorry I didn't include a sketch the paint package won't allow me to draw a curve:eek:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Casio said:
I have a graph f(x) = 3(x + 1)^2 - 12 , I have sketched this graph (Not shown) hand it is a parabola with a y- intercept at - 9. the vertex being - 12.

The image set is a closed interval {- 12, infinity} Sorry no square brackets and no sign for infinity.

I am asked to explain why the function of f does not have an inverse?

Given that the graph is a parabola I would have thought that the graph did have an inverse?

The domain {-3 < x < 1}

I am missing something here in the understanding if anyone can advise It would be much appreciated.

Sorry I didn't include a sketch the paint package won't allow me to draw a curve:eek:

A function is single valued, so for your f(x) to have an inverse for every y in its range there must be one and only one x in its domain such that y=f(x).

That is every horizontal line y=u that cuts the curve y=f(x) cuts it in one point only.

CB

CaptainBlack said:
A function is single valued, so for your f(x) to have an inverse for every y in its range there must be one and only one x in its domain such that y=f(x).

That is every horizontal line y=u that cuts the curve y=f(x) cuts it in one point only.

CB

Thanks CB

Related to Understanding inverse functions

What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that undoes the action of another function. It essentially "reverses" the original function, allowing you to get back to the original input value from the output value.

How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you need to switch the input and output variables and solve for the new output variable. This is typically done by using algebraic techniques, such as substitution or solving for the variable.

What is the importance of inverse functions?

Inverse functions are important for a variety of reasons. They allow us to solve equations, find the domain and range of a function, and understand the relationship between two functions. They also have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the difference between a one-to-one function and a many-to-one function?

A one-to-one function is a function where each input value has a unique output value. In other words, there are no repeated output values. A many-to-one function, on the other hand, has multiple input values that result in the same output value.

How do you test if a function has an inverse?

To test if a function has an inverse, you can use the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line intersects the function at more than one point, then the function does not have an inverse. If the horizontal line intersects the function at only one point, then the function has an inverse.