Understanding Interaction Forces: How Does Friction Play a Role?

In summary, when we walk, the force pushing us forward is due to the Earth pushing back on us via friction, which is one pair of interaction forces. When we push a door with a flat palm, perpendicular to the surface, there is only one pair of interaction forces involved. When we push a book across a table, there are two pairs of interaction forces at work, but only one pair is related to us (the force between us and the book). It is important to mention our system when discussing forces and to note that inertial forces do not obey Newton's 3rd Law.
Cliff Hanley
1. When we walk we push backwards against the ground with our feet and the opposing force pushes us forwards, is this opposing force friction? Or is it the Earth pushing us in response to us pushing it (with our foot) re Newton’s 3rd Law of Motion? Is there one pair of interaction forces occurring here or are there two pairs?

2 . Re the above question; If I push a door, the door pushes me; but there is no friction involved, yes? Is there just one pair of interaction forces involved here?

3. If I push a book across a table the book pushes me (but there is also the opposing frictional force between the bottom of the book and the table, yes?). Are there two pairs of interaction forces at work here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cliff Hanley said:
1. When we walk we push backwards against the ground with our feet and the opposing force pushes us forwards, is this opposing force friction?
Yes.

Cliff Hanley said:
Or is it the Earth pushing us in response to us pushing it (with our foot) re Newton’s 3rd Law of Motion?
Yes.

Cliff Hanley said:
Is there one pair of interaction forces occurring here or are there two pairs?
One

Cliff Hanley said:
2 . Re the above question; If I push a door, the door pushes me; but there is no friction involved, yes?
Depends on how you push it. Friction is the component parallel to the surface.

Cliff Hanley said:
Is there just one pair of interaction forces involved here?
Friction is an interaction force too.

Cliff Hanley said:
3. If I push a book across a table the book pushes me (but there is also the opposing frictional force between the bottom of the book and the table, yes?). Are there two pairs of interaction forces at work here?
Yes

Likes Cliff Hanley
You must always mention your system .
Cliff Hanley said:
1. When we walk we push backwards against the ground with our feet and the opposing force pushes us forwards, is this opposing force friction? Or is it the Earth pushing us in response to us pushing it (with our foot) re Newton’s 3rd Law of Motion? Is there one pair of interaction forces occurring here or are there two pairs?
Yes , it is . The Earth pushes back on us , via friction . One - between the Earth and us .
Cliff Hanley said:
2 . Re the above question; If I push a door, the door pushes me; but there is no friction involved, yes? Is there just one pair of interaction forces involved here?
Yes , it pushes back on us . Friction is not involved here .
Cliff Hanley said:
Yes , but only one pair is related to us .

Hope this helps ,
Qwertywerty .

Likes Cliff Hanley
So the Earth pushing back on me involves friction (my foot and the Earth rubbing over each other, yes?). And this is one pair of interaction forces. Would we say that it's one pair of interaction frictional forces?

“Depends on how you push it [the door]”

With a flat palm, square on to the door, no rubbing across the surface involved.

“Friction is an interaction force too.”

Are all forces interaction forces given what Newton’s 3rd Law of Motion states?

And, you said, yes, there are two pairs of interaction forces at work when a book is pushed across a table; does this differ from when I push a door (one pair of interaction forces) in that there is no rubbing of two surfaces when I push the door?

“You must always mention your system.”

What does that mean?

“Yes , but only one pair [one of the two pairs of interaction forces at work when a book is pushed across a table] is related to us.”

This is presumably the I-push-the-book-the-book-pushes-me pair, yes? Why is the other pair (the frictional pair between the surfaces of the book and the table) not related to us?

“Hope this helps.”

It does (as ever). Thank you.

Cliff Hanley said:
With a flat palm, square on to the door, no rubbing across the surface involved.
If the contact force is perpendicular to the surface, no friction is involved.

Cliff Hanley said:
Are all forces interaction forces given what Newton’s 3rd Law of Motion states?
Inertial forces do not obey Newton's 3rd Law

Cliff Hanley said:
And, you said, yes, there are two pairs of interaction forces at work when a book is pushed across a table; does this differ from when I push a door (one pair of interaction forces) in that there is no rubbing of two surfaces when I push the door?
Depending on how you define the bodies, you can have as many interactions as you want.

Likes Cliff Hanley
Cliff Hanley said:
This is presumably the I-push-the-book-the-book-pushes-me pair, yes? Why is the other pair (the frictional pair between the surfaces of the book and the table) not related to us?
Yes - to the former .

To the latter - Consider an FBD for us . Which forces would we take into account ? Do forces acting between other objects enter it ?
Cliff Hanley said:
“You must always mention your system.”

What does that mean?
It means that you should always specify what exactly you are talking about . For example , if you took yourself and the book as one system , then the force acting on you + book - and the table , would be the pair which would be talked about .

While , at the same time , internal ( between you and book ) would not be counted for Newton's third law pair of the system ( as you are considering them as one ) .

Hmmm ... But , I think this was unnecessary . Please ignore .

Likes Cliff Hanley
"Inertial forces do not obey Newton's 3rd Law"

What is an inertial force? Is this when an object is, for example, at rest and there are two forces acting on the object but are balanced, ie, they don't cause the object to accelerate? If so, and if you and I were at the opposite ends of, say, a car, and we both pushed with equal force, the object would remain at rest, yes? But wouldn't there still be two pairs of interaction forces at either end each obeying the 3rd law (me pushing the car and being pushed by it; you pushing the car and you being pushed by it)?

"Consider an FBD for us . Which forces would we take into account ? Do forces acting between other objects enter it ?"

Thanks. I'll need to learn a bit more about free body diagrams and which forces are relevant etc.

Related to Understanding Interaction Forces: How Does Friction Play a Role?

What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the relative motion between two surfaces in contact. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of surfaces and the interlocking of irregularities between them.

How is friction measured?

Friction is typically measured using a device called a friction tester, which measures the force required to move one surface over another. The unit of measurement for friction is called the coefficient of friction.

What factors affect friction?

The amount of friction between two surfaces is affected by several factors, including the force pressing the surfaces together, the roughness and material of the surfaces, and the speed at which they are moving relative to each other.

What are the types of friction?

There are four main types of friction: static friction, which prevents objects from moving when at rest; sliding friction, which occurs when two surfaces slide against each other; rolling friction, which occurs when an object rolls over a surface; and fluid friction, which is the resistance to motion through a fluid (such as air or water).

How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. Another way to reduce friction is by using smoother or more polished surfaces, which have less microscopic roughness and therefore less interlocking between them.