Problem in getting correct coefficients of frictional forces

In summary: There is no edition number in my copy, only a 1959 copyright date and the notation 6th printing. For this reason, I presume it is a 1st edition. I used it as a textbook in the school year 1963-64.
Amitayas Banerjee
I am getting correct equations on using the Lagrangian method in Systems with no non conservative forces, but when I use it in Systems with friction, sometimes I get correct equations, and sometimes I do not. Most of the equations have some problem with the coefficients of the frictional forces.
For example, let us take a look at this system...
ss3iS.jpg

Here f1,f2 are the frictional forces(and not the coefficients of friction)

Now, let the block with mass $m_2$ move through a distance $x$ to ward the right.
Vqyxs.jpg

now, when we apply Newton's second law, we see that this is wrong and the coefficient of f1should have been 2
Why is the problem?...on the right hand side I have written the generalized force and the the two Lagrangian terms on the left hand side. Please help me out.

Attachments

• ss3iS.jpg
    ss3iS.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 463
  • Vqyxs.jpg
    Vqyxs.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
Standard Lagrangian mechanics does not handle dissipative systems.

Orodruin said:
I have not used that...I have used the version with generalized forces(RHS has got -f1-f2)

Amitayas Banerjee said:
I have not used that...I have used the version with generalized forces(RHS has got -f1-f2)
The RHS that you wrote is not the generalized forces, it is the regular forces. The generalized forces are
$$F_i \cdot \frac{\partial v_i}{\partial \dot{q_j}}$$
That is where the factor of 2 comes in

Likes Amitayas Banerjee
Dale said:
The RHS that you wrote is not the generalized forces, it is the regular forces. The generalized forces are
$$F_i \cdot \frac{\partial v_i}{\partial \dot{q_j}}$$
That is where the factor of 2 comes in
Sirl, is that vi=xdot i?

Orodruin said:

I'm not sure what "standard" means in this context, but I use Lagrange frequently for systems involving losses. See Goldstein, pp. 38 - 40.

Amitayas Banerjee said:
Sirl, is that vi=xdot i?
@Dr.D Sir, can you clarify this?

Amitayas Banerjee said:
Sirl, is that vi=xdot i?
Yes

Dr.D said:
I'm not sure what "standard" means in this context, but I use Lagrange frequently for systems involving losses. See Goldstein, pp. 38 - 40.
What edition are you using? Pages 38 to 40 in my Goldstein is just general variational calculus.

Anyway, I read the OP and replied a bit fast it seems. By "standard" I was meaning only letting the variation of an action be equal to zero, which is what most students learn first and many do not go beyond. For some reason I thought the OP was trying to do something like trying to introduce friction forces in the Lagrangian.

Orodruin said:
What edition are you using?
There is no edition number in my copy, only a 1959 copyright date and the notation 6th printing. For this reason, I presume it is a 1st edition. I used it as a textbook in the school year 1963-64. I've been using this to good effect ever since.

Related to Problem in getting correct coefficients of frictional forces

1. What are coefficients of frictional forces?

Coefficients of frictional forces are values that represent the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact. They are used to calculate the force of friction between two objects.

2. Why is it important to get the correct coefficients of frictional forces?

Getting the correct coefficients of frictional forces is important because it allows us to accurately calculate the force of friction between two objects. This is crucial in many real-world applications, such as designing machinery and predicting the behavior of objects in motion.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of coefficients of frictional forces?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of coefficients of frictional forces, including surface roughness, temperature, and the presence of lubricants or contaminants.

4. How can you determine the correct coefficients of frictional forces?

Coefficients of frictional forces can be determined through experimental testing, where the force of friction is measured for different combinations of materials and surface conditions. The results can then be used to calculate the coefficient of friction.

5. Can the coefficients of frictional forces change over time?

Yes, coefficients of frictional forces can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, changes in surface conditions, or the use of different lubricants. It is important to regularly re-evaluate and update these values for accurate calculations.