Understanding Implicit Differentiation: Solving for Second Order Derivatives

In summary, the conversation is about finding the second derivative of the given equation. The person has gotten the first derivative and is struggling to find the second derivative. The answer is found using a substitution in the denominator and using the fact that 3y^2+8y=3x. The final result is -54/(8(4+3y)^3).
Duncan1382
Find [tex]d^2/dx^2(3y^2+8y=3x)[/tex]

I managed to get [tex]dy/dx = 3 / (6y + 8)[/tex] but I have no clue where to go from here.

According to WolfRamAlpha, the answer is [tex]-27/(4(16 + 9x)(4 + 3y))[/tex], but since dy/dx doesn't have any x value in it, I don't see how the derivative of it would.

I've played around with it for a long time, and I just can't get it. Help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you need to express in terms of x and y? I don't see what's wrong if you express it in y which is what i would do

semc said:
Do you need to express in terms of x and y? I don't see what's wrong if you express it in y which is what i would do

You can't express y in terms of x. It's not a function. You can express it in terms of x and y, but that just makes the math longer.

Duncan - WolfRamAlpha mad a substitution in the denominator using the original expression.

Firstly - did you compute the second derivative correctly? You should have yielded:

[tex]
y' =\frac{3}{8+6 \cdot y}
[/tex]
and
[tex]
y'' = -\frac{6 \cdot (y')^2}{8+6 \cdot y}
[/tex]

Now, using the first into the second

[tex]
y'' = -\left (\frac{3}{8+6 \cdot y} \right)^2 \left (\frac{6}{8+6 \cdot y} \right ) = \frac{-54}{8 \cdot (4+3 \cdot y)^3}
[/tex]

Now, using the fact that [itex]3y^2+8y=3x[/itex], you need to show yourself that [itex](4+3y)^2 = 9x +16[/itex]. Use this in above to yield result.

Oh. Now I get it.

Thank you.

Related to Understanding Implicit Differentiation: Solving for Second Order Derivatives

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of an equation that is not explicitly written in terms of a single independent variable, but rather contains both the independent and dependent variables in the same equation.

2. When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is often used when an equation is too complex or difficult to solve for the dependent variable in terms of the independent variable. It is also used in cases where the dependent variable is not expressed explicitly in the equation.

3. What are the steps for implicit differentiation?

The steps for implicit differentiation are as follows: 1) Differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable, treating the dependent variable as a function of the independent variable. 2) Simplify the resulting equation by isolating the derivative of the dependent variable. 3) Substitute back the original equation for the dependent variable to solve for the derivative.

4. What is the difference between implicit and explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of an equation that is explicitly written in terms of a single independent variable. On the other hand, implicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of an equation that contains both the independent and dependent variables in the same equation.

5. What are some real-life applications of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation has various applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. It can be used to find the rate of change in complex systems, such as fluid flow, heat transfer, and population growth. It is also used in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.