Understanding Harmonics in Music: The Physics Behind Playing Flute Notes

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of harmonics in playing the flute and the physics behind it. The flautist explains that sometimes they have to play notes with the same finger position, but varying air speed, resulting in hearing both the original note and another note above it in pitch. They ask for an explanation as to why this occurs, particularly for notes in different octaves with the same fingering. Another participant shares a link with a detailed explanation of the physics of a flute.
dt19
i'm a flautist. sometimes i have to play notes called harmonics, where the finger position is the same (i.e. same holes closed off) but you have to vary the air speed so that you can hear the original note and also another note above it in pitch. can anyone explain to me why it is that i can hear both notes? because for some notes in the higher octaves, the fingering is the same as for notes in the lower octave, but i can only hear one note. what's the physics behind it?

apologies if that's not very easy to understand - I'm not a very articulate person.

Physics news on Phys.org
dt19 said:
i'm a flautist. sometimes i have to play notes called harmonics, where the finger position is the same (i.e. same holes closed off) but you have to vary the air speed so that you can hear the original note and also another note above it in pitch. can anyone explain to me why it is that i can hear both notes? because for some notes in the higher octaves, the fingering is the same as for notes in the lower octave, but i can only hear one note. what's the physics behind it?
The physics of a flute is a bit complicated. Have a look http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/fluteacoustics.html#overview"for detailed explanation.

AM

Last edited by a moderator:
aha! enlightenment.

cheers.

Related to Understanding Harmonics in Music: The Physics Behind Playing Flute Notes

1. What is a harmonic?

A harmonic is a wave or vibration that has a frequency that is an integer multiple of the fundamental frequency. In other words, it is a wave that is a multiple of the lowest frequency or pitch of a sound.

2. How do harmonics relate to physics?

Harmonics play a significant role in physics, particularly in the study of sound and vibrations. Understanding harmonics is essential in analyzing and describing the behavior of waves and oscillations.

3. How do you calculate harmonics?

The formula for calculating harmonics is n*f, where n is the harmonic number (1, 2, 3, etc.) and f is the fundamental frequency. For example, the second harmonic would be 2*f, and the third harmonic would be 3*f.

4. What are some real-world applications of harmonics?

Harmonics have many practical applications, such as in music, where they are used to create different notes and chords. They are also used in the fields of acoustics, engineering, and telecommunications for signal processing and filtering.

5. What is the relationship between harmonics and overtones?

Harmonics and overtones are closely related, but not the same. Overtones are the frequencies that are produced along with the fundamental frequency in a sound wave, while harmonics are the frequencies that are multiples of the fundamental frequency. In other words, harmonics are a type of overtone.