Odd (pretty) waveform for third harmonic of violin E-string

In summary: Interestingly, these notes also have a "hatched" or "notched" appearance to them on an oscilloscope due to the strong interference between the two waves.In summary, the person is seeing two waves with frequencies close to each other that are superimposed and they can only hear one note. This is likely due to the fact that the finger is stopping the string at an antinode.
Ethan B.
I lightly placed my finger a quarter of the length down the E-string of a violin and drew the bow, forcing the third harmonic. I used an oscilloscope app to look at the waveform. I got this unusually regular pure pattern:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9KQ4zoXAY2AQkU1dVowWjRCUTA/view?usp=sharing

It looks almost like two waves a semitone apart are superimposed, but I can only hear one note. The same pattern occurs when the finger is placed on any of the nodes of the third harmonic, and a similar pattern occurs on the A-string, but with a lower frequency.

How is this happening?

Attachments

• upload_2015-6-11_14-29-18.png
    upload_2015-6-11_14-29-18.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 564
Physics news on Phys.org
DEvens said:
I know there's a beat note here, but how come I don't hear a separate tone or any beats? And where could this inaudible second tone be coming from? I'm also puzzled as to why there only seem to be 2 tones at play here, instead of the usual mess.

I count 12 or 13 high-frequency waves to one low-frequency beat. If it is 12, the low frequency is A, 3 octaves below the A string. If it is 13, the low frequency is G#, which is a third above an E 4 octaves down.

Ethan B. said:
I lightly placed my finger a quarter of the length down the E-string of a violin and drew the bow, forcing the third harmonic. I used an oscilloscope app to look at the waveform. I got this unusually regular pure pattern:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9KQ4zoXAY2AQkU1dVowWjRCUTA/view?usp=sharing

It looks almost like two waves a semitone apart are superimposed, but I can only hear one note. The same pattern occurs when the finger is placed on any of the nodes of the third harmonic, and a similar pattern occurs on the A-string, but with a lower frequency.

How is this happening?
I am wondering if you are seeing the sampling frequency of the digital CRO. I have found an analogue CRO is immune from these problems.

You appear to be looking at two harmonics of the string with all other frequencies mostly suppressed. What frequencies you get also depends on how far up the string you place the bow (but you probably know this).

I calculate a frequency ratio of about 45:49, or about 9:10. This would correspond the 8th and 9th harmonics of the fundamental. Am I calculating wrong?

stedwards said:
You appear to be looking at two harmonics of the string with all other frequencies mostly suppressed. What frequencies you get also depends on how far up the string you place the bow (but you probably know this).

I calculate a frequency ratio of about 45:49, or about 9:10. This would correspond the 8th and 9th harmonics of the fundamental. Am I calculating wrong?

Hello,

As the finger stopped the quarter length of the string, there were 4 antinodes and therefore it was the third harmonic (you can actually see the antinodes if you do the same thing on the G-string). As for the calculations, I'm thinking there is the third harmonic and another tone very close to it that is interfering. I wonder if this might have something to do with the fact that both ends of the string do not rest on sharp corners but are instead held "roundly" around the bridge and the nut? Or, maybe it is a software inaccuracy, as tech99 speculates, although I somewhat doubt this as the pattern also shows up on the A-string. I got the same pattern wherever I placed the bow, even behind the finger.

Later, I found that these "wavy" (not jagged) patterns occur on notes that resonate very well, such as C# (the violin's overall resonant frequency) and F#.

Related to Odd (pretty) waveform for third harmonic of violin E-string

1. What is the "odd (pretty) waveform" for the third harmonic of a violin E-string?

The "odd (pretty) waveform" for the third harmonic of a violin E-string refers to the unique shape of the waveform that is produced when the string is played at a specific frequency. This waveform is characterized by a series of peaks and valleys that are evenly spaced and have a distinctive aesthetic quality.

2. Why is the third harmonic of the violin E-string considered "odd" or unusual?

The third harmonic of the violin E-string is considered "odd" because it is not a common or expected harmonic in the overtone series of the string. Typically, the first and second harmonics (or fundamental and octave) are the most prominent and easily produced by the string. The third harmonic is a higher frequency and requires more precise playing technique to produce.

3. What causes the third harmonic of the violin E-string to have a unique waveform?

The unique waveform of the third harmonic on the violin E-string is primarily caused by the combination of the fundamental frequency (first harmonic) and the second harmonic. These two frequencies interact and create a pattern of constructive and destructive interference, resulting in the distinct peaks and valleys of the waveform.

4. Does the "odd (pretty) waveform" of the third harmonic have any impact on the sound of the violin?

Yes, the "odd (pretty) waveform" of the third harmonic can have an impact on the sound of the violin. It contributes to the overall timbre or tone quality of the instrument, adding complexity and richness to the sound. The more pronounced and well-defined the third harmonic waveform is, the more unique and pleasing the sound of the violin will be.

5. Are there any other instruments or sounds that produce a similar "odd (pretty) waveform" for their third harmonic?

Yes, there are other instruments and sounds that produce a similar "odd (pretty) waveform" for their third harmonic. This includes other string instruments such as the cello, as well as wind instruments like the flute. It can also be heard in natural sounds like the singing of birds or the crashing of waves on a beach. In general, any sound that produces a clear and distinct third harmonic will have a similar waveform.