Understanding Gravity's Impact on Light: Beginner's Question on GM

• Thread starter wofsy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    gm
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that gravity affects the energy of light and gives an example of a body falling in a gravitational field and transforming into a light ray. The conversation also mentions the possibility of extracting energy from a gravitational field and the postulate that energy cannot be created or destroyed. The book being referenced is "A First Course in General Relativity" by Schutz. The participants also discuss the concept of potential energy and its relationship to kinetic energy. The conversation concludes with a discussion on whether the gravitational field can lose energy.
wofsy
I have just started a book on GM. As motivation for the idea that gravity must affect the energy of light the following example is given.

A body of rest mass,M, falls in a gravitation field and bounces off of the ground after it has achieved velocity,v. At impact, it transforms completely into a light ray that rises upwards with energy approximately equal to m + 1/2mv^2. When it reaches the original drop height it again reflects and turns back into a body of mass equal to the photon's energy. If this energy is not m then it would be possible to create a perpetual motion machine. Why is that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi wofsy! :smile:

(what does "GM" stand for? :confused:)

Because it has turned back into a mass again, we can do the same experiment over and over again, gaining energy each time (or losing energy each time, in which case we simply do the experiment in reverse). :wink:

(an alternative would be to extract just enough energy to re-create the original mass, m, and to let the remaining energy escape as usable energy, like a laser!)

tiny-tim said:
Hi wofsy! :smile:

(what does "GM" stand for? :confused:)

Because it has turned back into a mass again, we can do the same experiment over and over again, gaining energy each time (or losing energy each time, in which case we simply do the experiment in reverse). :wink:

(an alternative would be to extract just enough energy to re-create the original mass, m, and to let the remaining energy escape as usable energy, like a laser!)

thanks. I don't know what GM is either.

Why is it forbidden that we could keep extracting energy for the gravitational field/ What is the postulate?

wofsy said:
thanks. I don't know what GM is either.

Why is it forbidden that we could keep extracting energy for the gravitational field/ What is the postulate?

The postulate is that energy can't be created (or destroyed) … it can only be converted, from one form to another.

Energy can be extracted from a gravitational field, in the right circumstances …

energy can be extracted from the "ergosphere" round a rotating black hole (a sort of egg-shaped region just outside the event horizon) by a sort of windmill arrangement …

but that slows down the rotation of the black hole, so the loss of energy from the gravitational field is accompanied by a change in the body producing the gravitational field …

but in the example in your book, there is (I asuume) no change in the body producing the gravitational field, and so no way of extracting energy from it. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
The postulate is that energy can't be created (or destroyed) … it can only be converted, from one form to another.

Energy can be extracted from a gravitational field, in the right circumstances …

energy can be extracted from the "ergosphere" round a rotating black hole (a sort of egg-shaped region just outside the event horizon) by a sort of windmill arrangement …

but that slows down the rotation of the black hole, so the loss of energy from the gravitational field is accompanied by a change in the body producing the gravitational field …

but in the example in your book, there is (I asuume) no change in the body producing the gravitational field, and so no way of extracting energy from it. :smile:

right - why can't the gravitational field lose energy?

wofsy said:
right - why can't the gravitational field lose energy?

I assume that the book assumes that the gravitational field is constant.

For example, it might be the gravitational field of the Earth … which doesn't change shape when you bounce things up and down on it.

Which book is this?

tiny-tim said:
I assume that the book assumes that the gravitational field is constant.

For example, it might be the gravitational field of the Earth … which doesn't change shape when you bounce things up and down on it.

Which book is this?

A first course in GR by Schutz

Not being a physicist it seems strange to me that a potential can give kinetic energy to a mass, or a charge, without expending its own energy. I know there is this idea of potential energy but it leaves me a little cold since it seems to beg the question. If a field transfers energy to something why doesn't the field lose energy?

wofsy said:
A first course in GR by Schutz

ah, that would be pages 119-120 at http://books.google.com/books?id=qh...Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=perpetual motion&f=false"

This is Einstein's thought experiment, specifically stated to be on Earth.

Earth's gravitational field depends on the distribution of mass, and that's not going to change during the experiment, so how could the field lose energy?
Not being a physicist it seems strange to me that a potential can give kinetic energy to a mass, or a charge, without expending its own energy. I know there is this idea of potential energy but it leaves me a little cold since it seems to beg the question. If a field transfers energy to something why doesn't the field lose energy?

We're talking about the energy being the same once the photon has returned to its original position.

In intermediate positions, there is a change of energy (between kinetic and potential energy), and it's really arbitrary to say whether the photon gains/loses energy because of its changing distance from the Earth, or the Earth gains/loses energy because of its changing distance from the photon. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Understanding Gravity's Impact on Light: Beginner's Question on GM

What is GM?

GM stands for genetically modified. It refers to the process of altering the genetic makeup of an organism, usually by inserting genes from another organism, in order to achieve a desired trait or characteristic.

Why do scientists use GM technology?

Scientists use GM technology to improve agricultural crops, create new medicines, and develop more sustainable industrial processes. It allows for more precise and efficient modification of an organism's genetic makeup compared to traditional breeding methods.

Are GM foods safe to eat?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence that suggests GM foods are unsafe to eat. The vast majority of studies have found that they are no different in terms of safety and nutrition compared to non-GM foods. However, it is important for proper testing and regulation to ensure the safety of GM foods.

What are the potential risks of GM technology?

There are potential risks associated with GM technology, such as the unintentional spread of modified genes to non-target species, the development of herbicide-resistant weeds, and the potential for allergenicity. However, these risks are actively researched and regulated to minimize any potential harm.

How does GM technology impact the environment?

The use of GM technology can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. It can decrease the use of pesticides and herbicides, reduce soil erosion, and increase crop yields. However, it can also lead to the loss of biodiversity and harm to non-target species. Proper regulation and responsible use of GM technology can help mitigate these potential negative impacts.