Understanding Glauber Coherent States

In summary, Glauber Coherent States are superpositions of quantum harmonic oscillator states with specific amplitudes that create a pendulum-like behavior within the potential. They can be defined mathematically using the annihilation operator and an arbitrary complex number. Time evolution of these states results in a constant amplitude and phase, displaying oscillatory behavior.
paris1244bc
I have been doing some reading into Glauber Coherent States and I am struggling to get a grasp on how they are composed, ie. how to determine when they exist. I kind of get the idea (qualitatively speaking) let me try to explain what I think;

- They are composed of superpositions of many of the quantum harmonic oscillator (single particle) states, where the amplitudes of each of these states is such that it gives a pendulum like 'hump' (thinking of the graph of probability density) that swings back and forth within the potential, the coherent state exists only when this pendulum like behaviour is observed. Is this correct?

I just don't know how to define them mathematically and I'm getting lost in the text, I'll persist with reading so I may get the answer eventually but if someone could someone help me to understand it clearly I would be grateful. I have found a few texts so far but they seem to be going over my head, I am currently drudging through "Optical Coherence & Quantum Optics" (Mandel & Wolf) specifically chapter 11.

Physics news on Phys.org

You can construct coherent states starting with

[tex](a-z)|z\rangle = 0[/tex]

where a is the annihilation operator and z is an arbitrary complex number.

Solving this equation tells you that |z> is

[tex]|z\rangle = e^{-|z|^2/2}\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{z^n}{\sqrt{n!}}|n\rangle = e^{-|z|^2/2} e^{a^\dagger z}|0\rangle[/tex]

The time evolution can be calculated using

[tex]H = \omega a^\dagger a [/tex]

(where I omitted the 1/2 b/v it's trivial) and

[tex]|z,t\rangle = e^{-iHt}|z,0\rangle = |z(t)\rangle [/tex]

with

[tex]z(t) = e^{-i\omega t}\,z(0)[/tex]

So time evolution takes a coherent state with z=z(0) inot a new coherent state z(t) with constant |z|

Related to Understanding Glauber Coherent States

1. What are Glauber coherent states?

Glauber coherent states are a set of quantum states that are used to describe the behavior of a quantum harmonic oscillator. They are also known as coherent states or displaced number states.

2. What properties do Glauber coherent states have?

Glauber coherent states have several unique properties, including being eigenstates of the annihilation operator, being minimum uncertainty states, and exhibiting classical-like behavior in certain situations.

3. How are Glauber coherent states different from other quantum states?

Glauber coherent states are different from other quantum states in that they have a well-defined phase and amplitude, making them similar to classical states. They also have a Gaussian probability distribution and exhibit classical-like behavior in certain situations.

4. What is the significance of Glauber coherent states in quantum mechanics?

Glauber coherent states are significant in quantum mechanics because they provide a useful tool for describing the behavior of quantum systems. They have been used in various applications, such as quantum information processing, quantum optics, and quantum computing.

5. How are Glauber coherent states related to the classical Gaussian distribution?

Glauber coherent states are closely related to the classical Gaussian distribution, as they have a similar probability distribution. However, unlike classical states, they also exhibit quantum properties such as non-commutativity and uncertainty. This allows them to bridge the gap between classical and quantum systems.