Understanding Function Expansion: Mathematically Explained by Non-Mathematicians

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a function f being written as an asymptotic expansion with a small parameter ε, where f_0 is an equilibrium value and all higher-order terms are non-equilibrium values. This allows for solving a problem that cannot be solved analytically for F(x,ε) by breaking it down into a series of problems solvable for the f_n. The various terms in the summations are identified with the partial derivative terms in a Taylor series for the function in terms of ε, allowing for the problem to be solved iteratively.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

I have sometimes seen a function f being written as
[tex]
f \approx f_0 + \varepsilon f_1(x)+ \varepsilon^2 f_2(x) + \ldots
[/tex]
where [itex]f_0[/itex] is an equlibrium value and all higher-order terms are non-equilibrium values (not derivates!). The assumption has always been that [itex]\varepsilon \ll 1[/itex].

My question is: Mathematically, I guess we are expanding the function f around its equlibrium value. But when I look at the expression for a Taylor expansion, I can't make this fit with anything.

Are we non-mathematicians even allowed to write the function like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Niles said:

Homework Statement

Hi

[tex]
[/tex]
where [itex]f_0[/itex] is an equlibrium value and all higher-order terms are non-equilibrium values (not derivates!). The assumption has always been that [itex]\varepsilon \ll 1[/itex].

My question is: Mathematically, I guess we are expanding the function f around its equlibrium value. But when I look at the expression for a Taylor expansion, I can't make this fit with anything.

Are we non-mathematicians even allowed to write the function like this?
Thank you for using the (much prettier looking) \varepsilon for your epsilons. :-p

Well, us math-folk sometimes have a dislike for approximations and what you have written doesn't specify a domain or codomain (so we wouldn't technically call it a function by strict definition), but I see no other reason why you couldn't do that.

If your ##\{f_i\}## follow some sort of pattern, we can probably solve the limit $$f(x)=\lim_{n\rightarrow+\infty}\sum_{0\leq i\leq n}\varepsilon^if_i(x).$$

Can you give us more information? I'm interested in understanding what you're doing here.

Niles said:

Homework Statement

Hi

[tex]
[/tex]

That looks like an asymptotic expansion, not a Taylor series. In such expansions we usually don't care whether
[tex]
\lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{n=0}^N \epsilon^n f_n(x)
[/tex]
even exists; what we're interested in is whether [itex]\sum_{n=0}^N \epsilon^n f_n(x)[/itex] for some finite [itex]N[/itex] is a sufficiently good approximation to some [itex]F(x,\epsilon)[/itex] when [itex]|\epsilon| \ll 1[/itex].

Generally the idea is to exploit a small parameter to turn a problem we can't solve analytically for [itex]F(x,\epsilon)[/itex] into a series of problems we can solve for the [itex]f_n[/itex].

Thanks for the help so far, both of you.

pasmith said:
Generally the idea is to exploit a small parameter to turn a problem we can't solve analytically for [itex]F(x,\epsilon)[/itex] into a series of problems we can solve for the [itex]f_n[/itex].

That is exactly how it is used in my case (a Chapman-Enskog expansion). But doesn't this require that the various terms [itex]f_n[/itex] are somewhat independent, so we can solve for each order independently?

Suppose you have a function of the two variables ε and x, f(ε,x) and you expand in a Taylor series in ε about ε=0. Then you get:

[tex]f(ε,x)=f(0,x)+ε\left(\frac{\partial f(ε,x)}{\partial ε}\right)_{ε=0}+\frac{ε^2}{2}\left(\frac{\partial^2 f(ε,x)}{\partial ε^2}\right)_{ε=0}+ ...[/tex]
Then you can identify the functions in your summations with the partial derivative terms in this series.

Niles said:
Thanks for the help so far, both of you.

That is exactly how it is used in my case (a Chapman-Enskog expansion). But doesn't this require that the various terms [itex]f_n[/itex] are somewhat independent, so we can solve for each order independently?

The problem for [itex]f_n[/itex] should depend only on [itex]f_0, \dots, f_{n-1}[/itex], so that one can work forward from [itex]f_0[/itex].

Related to Understanding Function Expansion: Mathematically Explained by Non-Mathematicians

1. What is Function Expansion?

Function Expansion is a mathematical concept that involves representing a complex function as a combination of simpler functions. This allows for easier analysis and manipulation of the function.

2. Why is Function Expansion important?

Function Expansion is important because it allows for a deeper understanding of complex functions and can make calculations and analyses more efficient. It also allows for the creation of new functions by combining simpler ones.

3. How does Function Expansion work?

Function Expansion involves finding a set of coefficients (numbers) that can be multiplied by simpler functions to create a more complex one. This can be done using techniques such as Fourier series or Taylor series.

4. Can Function Expansion be used for any type of function?

Function Expansion can be used for many types of functions, but there are some limitations. It is most commonly used for continuous and differentiable functions, and may not work for functions with discontinuities or undefined points.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Function Expansion?

Yes, Function Expansion has many real-world applications, particularly in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to model and analyze complex systems, such as electrical circuits or economic markets.