Understanding Friction: Solving for Forces on Boxes A and B

• Thread starter IvaNMK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the minimum force needed to move box A is 18N and it will either move imperceptibly slowly or accelerate depending on the coefficient of kinetic friction. Box B will have two horizontal forces, the total of which will be used to calculate its acceleration using the equation F = ma.
IvaNMK

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3893/58096739.jpg

Homework Equations

F = ma, friction...

The Attempt at a Solution

I just want to understand the problem so I can do it.

1a. If I apply 18N to box A, does it actually move? or it just reaches the max friction and still stay put?

1b. how many forces should be on box B? I see 2 forces, the kinetic friction given by A on B and the static (or kinetic?) friction between box B and the ground

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Iva! :smile:
IvaNMK said:
1a. If I apply 18N to box A, does it actually move? or it just reaches the max friction and still stay put?

The 18 N applied force in the question is stated to be the minimum force needed to get box A to move (ie, "to overcome the maximum static friction").

There's two answers to your question! …
i] no, it's only "on the point of moving" or "about to move", to quote various exam questions on static friction
ii] yes, it moves imperceptibly slowly at first, but then the coefficient of kinetic friction takes over, so it accelerates. :wink:

1b. how many forces should be on box B? I see 2 forces, the kinetic friction given by A on B and the static (or kinetic?) friction between box B and the ground

Yes, only 2 (horizontal) forces on B …

their total is the F in F = ma for B. :smile:

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that acts between two surfaces that are in contact and moving relative to each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces, which create resistance and make it difficult for the surfaces to slide over each other.

2. How does friction affect the movement of objects?

Friction can either help or hinder the movement of objects. It can be beneficial, such as in the case of tires gripping the road to allow a car to move forward. However, it can also be detrimental, such as when it causes wear and tear on machinery or slows down the movement of objects.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction between two surfaces?

The amount of friction between two surfaces is affected by the types of materials involved, the force pressing the surfaces together, the texture and smoothness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or fluids.

4. How is friction calculated?

Friction can be calculated using the formula: F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces. The coefficient of friction is a constant value that depends on the materials and surfaces in contact.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact. It can also be reduced by using smoother materials or by applying a force perpendicular to the surfaces to decrease the normal force between them. In some cases, friction can also be reduced by using wheels or rollers to allow for smoother movement between surfaces.