Understanding Friction: A Systematic Approach to Solving Problems

In summary, the conversation is about finding a general method for solving problems involving friction. The person is seeking help in systematically calculating the acceleration of three blocks when a force is applied. They are advised to describe the situation in words and consider different scenarios before applying any formulas to find the frictional force between the blocks.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

I have been facing constant problems in solving questions about friction. I wish to formulate a general method of solving such questions.
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/3535/frictionzf3.jpg
Here u1, u2 and u3 are friction coefficients. (Assume kinetic coefficient to be same as limiting static coefficient )
I wish to find the acceleration in each block in a systematic manner when a force F is applied on block
1) A
2) B
3) C

Help me discern a solution in a systematic manner in order that I may remember it for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

What answer would you like us to give? :)

CompuChip said:
What answer would you like us to give? :)

1)Proceeding for the first part. A force F Newton is applied on block A. My aim is to calculate the acceleration of all the 3 blocks. How shall I proceed?
Someone please help me. I am not asking for solution but please will you guide me through it??

Last edited:

Please help me guys

Sorry, I missed your previous post.

OK so let's start with the first case then. First try to describe in words (well, you can use formula's, but not entire calculations) what will happen when the force is applied? Well, that depends on the magnitude of the force. Can you say what happens in the two possible scenario's, and what the transition between them is? Do you know of any formulas that will give the frictional force of the top block on the one below it, in the two different cases?

Related to Understanding Friction: A Systematic Approach to Solving Problems

What is friction?

Friction is a force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and try to move against each other. It acts in the opposite direction of motion and can make it harder for objects to move or slide past each other.

What factors affect the amount of friction between two surfaces?

The main factors that affect friction are the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces. For example, rougher surfaces tend to have more friction than smoother surfaces.

How is friction useful in our everyday lives?

Friction has many practical uses in our daily lives. It helps us walk, drive, and grip objects without slipping. It also allows us to write with a pen or pencil and use tools such as scissors.

What are the different types of friction?

There are three main types of friction: static friction, sliding friction, and rolling friction. Static friction occurs when two objects are not moving relative to each other, while sliding friction occurs when two objects are sliding past each other. Rolling friction occurs when an object rolls over a surface.

How can friction be reduced or increased?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants such as oils or greases, or by making surfaces smoother. It can also be increased by adding weight or pressure between the surfaces, or by making the surfaces rougher.