Block pushed up against wall, determine the force of friction

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of static and kinetic friction coefficients when solving a problem involving force and motion. The speaker is seeking clarification on how to determine when to use each coefficient, and the responder explains that the static coefficient indicates a threshold where the block will remain stationary, while the kinetic coefficient applies when the force exceeds that threshold. The direction of the force must also be determined based on the relative motion of the surfaces.
isukatphysics69
physm282.PNG
physm28.PNG
1. Homework Statement

I have already solved this one weeks ago, and i have a test Tuesday so i was reviewing these problems.
I understand everything when solving with 60N as the force.. but then when i changed the force to 20N,
i had to use the coefficient of kinetic friction to get the correct answer.. how exactly would i know if the block is moving just by changing the force from 60N to 20N? There should be a certain threshold where between x and y Newtons of force the block stays stationary and should only use static friction coefficient..I completely forget how i should figure on an exam whether i should use kinetic or not given this situation.. i am asking conceptually here how should i know?

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

asking conceptually here. have already solved

Attachments

• physm28.PNG
    physm28.PNG
    16.4 KB · Views: 983
  • physm282.PNG
    physm282.PNG
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,897
Physics news on Phys.org
isukatphysics69 said:
There should be a certain threshold where between x and y Newtons of force the block stays stationary and should only use static friction coefficient
That is what the static coefficient is for, it tells you the threshold, and nothing more.
Under static friction, |Ffriction|≤μsN.
Under kinetic, |Ffriction|=μkN.
If the net of the other forces parallel to the surface is under the threshold then the force is equal and opposite to that; if it exceeds the threshold then you have kinetic friction.
In each case, the direction must be determined by asking what the relative motion of the surfaces would be in the absence of friction.

Likes isukatphysics69

Related to Block pushed up against wall, determine the force of friction

1. What is the force of friction?

The force of friction is the resistance that occurs when two surfaces come into contact with each other and slide against each other.

2. Why is it important to determine the force of friction?

Determining the force of friction is important because it helps us understand how objects interact with each other and how much force is needed to move an object.

3. How is the force of friction calculated?

The force of friction is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (a measure of how rough or smooth the surfaces are) by the normal force (the force exerted by an object due to gravity).

4. What factors affect the force of friction?

The force of friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the weight of the object, and any external forces acting on the object.

5. How can the force of friction be reduced?

The force of friction can be reduced by using lubricants or adding rollers or wheels to an object to minimize the surface area in contact with the ground.