Understanding Flow Field Continuity and Solving for f(r)

In summary, the problem is asking for the form of the radial velocity function, f(r), in order for the equation of continuity to be satisfied in a flow field described by |V| = f(r). The individual components of the velocity vector field, u_r and u_theta, must be taken into account and satisfy the property that the modulus of the velocity field is equal to f(r).
marklar13

Homework Statement

A flow field is described by

|V| = f(r) ;

x^2 + y^2 = c (streamlines)

What form must f(r) have if continuity is to be satisfied? Explain your results.

Homework Equations

equation of continuity: div V = d(ur)/dr + (ur)/r = 0

where (ur) is the radial velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

I manipulated the continuity equation to be...
-d(ur)/(ur) = dr/r
Then I integrated both sides and got...
1/(ur) = r
Now I'm not sure what to do next or if I'm even on the right path. Can someone that understands this problem give me a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have implicitly assumed is that as the modulus of te velocity vector field is independent on the angle then that means that the individual components are, which is not the case. So you have to take:
[tex]
\mathbf{V}=u_{r}(r,\theta )\hat{\mathbf{r}}+u_{\theta}(r,\theta )\hat{\mathbf{\theta}}
[/tex]
With the property that:
[tex]
\sqrt{u_{r}^{2}+u_{\theta}^{2}}=f(r)
[/tex]

Related to Understanding Flow Field Continuity and Solving for f(r)

1. What is Flow Field Continuity?

Flow Field Continuity is a principle in fluid dynamics that states that the same amount of fluid entering a control volume must also exit the same control volume. In other words, the flow rate of a fluid is constant along a streamline.

2. Why is Flow Field Continuity important?

Flow Field Continuity is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of fluids in motion. By following this principle, we can determine how much fluid is flowing through a specific area and how it will behave in different situations.

3. How is Flow Field Continuity related to the conservation of mass?

Flow Field Continuity is directly related to the conservation of mass, which states that mass cannot be created or destroyed. In fluid dynamics, this means that the total mass of a fluid entering a control volume must equal the total mass exiting the same control volume.

4. What is the equation for Flow Field Continuity?

The equation for Flow Field Continuity is known as the continuity equation and is written as: A1V1 = A2V2, where A represents the cross-sectional area and V represents the velocity of the fluid.

5. How is Flow Field Continuity applied in real-world situations?

Flow Field Continuity is applied in various real-world situations, such as in the design of aircraft wings, turbines, and pipes. It is also used in weather forecasting and understanding ocean currents. By applying this principle, engineers and scientists can accurately predict and control the flow of fluids in different systems.