Understanding Elements and Subsets in Set Theory

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets Short
In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not the element {{{1}}} is a member of the set A = {1, {1}, {1, {1}}}. It is concluded that {{{1}}} is not an element of A because it does not match any of the three elements in A. There is also a mention of a previous confusion regarding subsets and elements.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Suppose A = {1,{1},{1,{1}}}

Then is {{{1}}} an element of A?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am thinking A has the elements are only 1, {1}, {1, {1}}

But {{{1}}} has only the element {{1}}

While A has the element {1,{1}}, you can't just take out the element 1 from {1,{1}}

So many brackets LOL

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it's not in A. You can see the three elements of A. {{{1}}} definitely isn't one of them. Haven't we been through this sort of thing before?

Dick said:
No, it's not in A. You can see the three elements of A. {{{1}}} definitely isn't one of them. Haven't we been through this sort of thing before?

No that time was confusing subsets and elements

Like (last time) I couldn't figure out why {1} isn't a subset of some set (which I will call B) B = {{1},2,3}

thank you by the way! (this shouldn't even be in calculus and beyond LOL, I don't know why I posted it here)

flyingpig said:
No that time was confusing subsets and elements

Like (last time) I couldn't figure out why {1} isn't a subset of some set (which I will call B) B = {{1},2,3}

Ok, new confusion then. So what is it this time? {1,{1}} has two elements 1 and {1}. {{{1}}} has one element {{1}}. Why would you think they could be the same?

Related to Understanding Elements and Subsets in Set Theory

1. What does it mean to be an element of a set?

Being an element of a set means that a particular value or object is a member of that set. In other words, it belongs to that set and is included in its collection of values or objects.

2. How do you determine if a value or object is an element of a set?

To determine if a value or object is an element of a set, you can compare it to the other values or objects in the set. If it is included in the set, then it is an element of that set. Alternatively, you can use set notation to represent a set and check if the value or object is listed within the set.

3. Can an element be a part of more than one set?

Yes, an element can be a part of more than one set. This is known as a common element, and it is not unusual for elements to be shared between sets.

4. How do you denote an element of a set?

An element of a set is usually denoted using set notation, which includes the element surrounded by curly braces { }. For example, if the set is A and the element is x, it would be written as x ∈ A.

5. Is it possible for an element to not be a part of any set?

No, an element must always be a part of at least one set. In set theory, there is a concept of the "empty set," which contains no elements. In this case, the element would belong to the empty set.