Understanding Electromagnetic Field Propagation: Insights and Formulas

In summary, the conversation is about a person's first post seeking help with a homework problem. They have found two different propagation constants and are unsure which formula to use. They also do not understand why the dispersion equation is given if they are not using it. The person is hoping for help and insights from others.
AgerPl
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.

Homework Statement

Hi this is my first post I hope that my explanation is good.

n5r8mMc.png

Now this is the explanation. Now I will provide the known values.
icZos3A.png

dhiFCiX.png

1pZXUyB.png
So I start looking literature and some formulas to solve this and I found two different propagation constants. Gama and Beta.

Homework Equations

MK9wra8.png
or
knuhPQ1.png

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
But even if I realize which one of these formulas to use I can't really understand why the dispersion equation is given if I'm not using it. Really need some insights here.

I hope you can help me,
Many thanks to you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Nobody can give me insights?BR,
Ager

Related to Understanding Electromagnetic Field Propagation: Insights and Formulas

1. What are electromagnetic fields?

Electromagnetic fields (EMFs) are a type of energy that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles. They are present everywhere in the environment, and can be produced by natural sources such as the sun, as well as man-made sources such as power lines and electronic devices.

2. Are electromagnetic fields harmful to our health?

Some studies have shown that exposure to high levels of electromagnetic fields can have negative effects on human health, such as an increased risk of cancer. However, the research on this topic is still ongoing and inconclusive. It is generally recommended to limit exposure to EMFs as a precautionary measure.

3. How do electromagnetic fields affect electronic devices?

Electromagnetic fields can interfere with the functioning of electronic devices, as they can disrupt the flow of electricity and cause malfunctions. This is why electronic devices such as cell phones and laptops often come with EMF shielding to protect their components.

4. Can we protect ourselves from electromagnetic fields?

There are various ways to reduce exposure to electromagnetic fields, such as keeping a safe distance from sources of EMF, using devices with lower EMF emissions, and using EMF shielding products. However, it is nearly impossible to completely avoid exposure to EMFs in our modern world.

5. Do electromagnetic fields have any practical uses?

Yes, electromagnetic fields have many practical uses in our daily lives. They are used in technologies such as radios, televisions, and cell phones to transmit and receive signals. They are also used in medical equipment such as MRI machines, and in industrial applications such as welding and metal detection.