Understanding Electricity & Charge: Rod S as Insulator or Conductor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electrostatic induction and how it relates to charged and uncharged objects. The participants also discuss the difference between conductors and insulators in this scenario and the potential for dipoles to be induced in both types of materials. They also mention the concept of polarization and how it is used in measuring the quality of insulation in electrical machines.
Cici2017

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 6.49.03 pm.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand I, but struggle to figure out whether rod S is an insulator or conductor. Does this have anything to do with charged object attract uncharged uncharged object?
Please help~[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
When you bring a charged object near to a conductor, what happens in the conductor?

(Maybe look up "electrostatic induction")

Seems like none of the answer choices is correct.

vela said:
Seems like none of the answer choices is correct.
One of the answers offers a correct solution. Merlin3189 is on the right track :wink:

Actually, I was about to acknowledge Vela's point.
Salutary that one (well, I) can be so easily seduced by the way a question is posed! I suppose this is just what political surveys do.

Certainly section 3 of http://physics.ucsc.edu/~pgraham/spr2009_7b/phys7b_lab2.pdf agrees with you.

But having accepted what now looks to be a wrong answer before, I didn't want to simply accept an alternative answer, without a bit of support. I did hope that there might be a big difference in the size of the force in the two cases.
After a lot of scribbling, fortunately I was unable to come up with a model that I felt happy with. So I was spared having to exercise my very rusty maths and went and did the experiment instead! (If anyone knows where I might look at a mathematical treatment of the magnitude of attraction for induced charges in insulators and conductors, that'd be interesting.)

With a rudimentary apparatus I couldn't measure much, but sure enough, the charged body attracts most things, whether conductor or insulator. I worried a bit that I couldn't be sure that insulators were uncharged, but the only repulsion I got was with something that was itself demonstrably charged.

Merlin3189 said:
I worried a bit that I couldn't be sure that insulators were uncharged,
... and maybe whether they are perfectly nonconducting, including surface moisture?
But as Vela may have in mind, even perfect insulators may form dipoles at the atomic level.

I would guess that statement II doesn't make sense. In the drawing is written that Rod S is insulated but is rod as is a unsulator allready how canone insulate a insulator? Or do I make a wrong assumption here?

ElectricRay said:
I would guess that statement II doesn't make sense.
But that is the flaw in this question, statement II can be true. See my post #6, last line.
ElectricRay said:
In the drawing is written that Rod S is insulated but is rod as is a unsulator allready how canone insulate a insulator?
It would be more to the point that the stand is also an insulator, otherwise it could have an induced charge distribution.

So theoratically I could charge the rod yes is and for on some place on the Rod S locally dipoles. This can only be localy e.g. left side of the rod on the picture. If the insulated stand is clean and a isolator Rod S will be charged. Do I understand it correct like that?

ElectricRay said:
So theoratically I could charge the rod yes is and for on some place on the Rod S locally dipoles. This can only be localy e.g. left side of the rod on the picture. If the insulated stand is clean and a isolator Rod S will be charged. Do I understand it correct like that?
The charge on rod R will induce dipoles at the atomic level all along rod S.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_induction#Induction_in_dielectric_objects

Im going to have a read on electrostatic induction thanks

Ok eureka this is called polarization. I think we use this parameter with meggering electrical machines as well. We measure the Insulation Resistance of 1 min and 10 min and take the ratio. This they call the Polarization Index the number tells something about the quality of the insulation of the windings.

Related to Understanding Electricity & Charge: Rod S as Insulator or Conductor?

1. What is the difference between an insulator and a conductor?

An insulator is a material that does not allow electricity to flow through it easily, while a conductor is a material that allows electricity to flow through it easily.

2. How does a material's atomic structure impact its ability to conduct electricity?

The atomic structure of a material plays a crucial role in determining its ability to conduct electricity. Materials with loosely bound electrons, such as metals, are good conductors because the electrons can easily move through the material. On the other hand, materials with tightly bound electrons, such as non-metals, are poor conductors because the electrons are not able to move freely.

3. Why is rod S considered an insulator?

Rod S is considered an insulator because it is made of a material with tightly bound electrons, such as rubber or plastic. This means that the electrons are not able to move freely through the material, making it difficult for electricity to flow through it.

4. Can an insulator become a conductor?

Yes, an insulator can become a conductor under certain conditions. For example, if enough heat or pressure is applied to an insulator, it may cause the electrons to become more mobile and allow electricity to flow through it. This process is known as doping, and it is commonly used in the production of electronic devices.

5. Is it possible for a material to be both an insulator and conductor?

In some cases, a material can exhibit properties of both an insulator and conductor. This is known as a semiconductor and is commonly used in electronic devices. Semiconductors have properties that allow them to either conduct or block electricity depending on the conditions, making them versatile materials for various applications.