Understanding Discharge: Where Does Capacitor Charge Go?

We are here to help, but we're not here to do homework for people. I'll give you a hint, though. "Charge" is a property of matter that is related to the electromagnetic force, and when we say that we are "charging" a capacitor, we are talking about moving charge from one location to another. The charge is not created or destroyed in the process of charging the capacitor. It is moved from one place to another. Does that help?In summary, when a capacitor is discharged, the charge moves from one location to another, typically from the positive terminal to the negative terminal. This process does not create or destroy charge, but simply moves it from one location to another.
HeidiF

Homework Statement

When a capacitor is discharged, where does the charge "go back to"? Explain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the charge goes from positive to negative, but I do not know how to explain this.

Physics news on Phys.org
HeidiF said:

Homework Statement

When a capacitor is discharged, where does the charge "go back to"? Explain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the charge goes from positive to negative, but I do not know how to explain this.

Welcome to the PF.

Can you first explain what happens when you "charge" a capacitor? :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Can you first explain what happens when you "charge" a capacitor? :smile:
No, I cannot.

HeidiF said:
No, I cannot.
Well, then it sounds like you need to study the basics a bit more. I'm not trying to be flippant here, I'm serious. When we see people asking questions that show a lack of understanding of the basics, we don't generally think of it as helpful to just feed them an answer to a question that is something they really should know as part of the basics.

Related to Understanding Discharge: Where Does Capacitor Charge Go?

What is a discharged capacitor?

A discharged capacitor is a type of electrical component that stores energy in an electric field. When a capacitor is fully discharged, it has no stored energy and acts as an open circuit.

How does a capacitor become discharged?

A capacitor becomes discharged when the electric charge stored in its plates is released. This can happen through a number of ways, such as connecting the capacitor to a resistor or short-circuiting the terminals.

What happens to a discharged capacitor?

When a capacitor is discharged, the voltage across its terminals drops to zero and it can no longer store any electrical charge. This means that it is no longer able to function as a capacitor until it is recharged.

Is it dangerous to handle a discharged capacitor?

In most cases, it is safe to handle a discharged capacitor. However, it is important to always take precautions when working with any electrical component. If the capacitor was previously connected to a high voltage source, it may still hold a residual charge and can give a mild electric shock.

Can a discharged capacitor be recharged?

Yes, a discharged capacitor can be recharged by connecting it to a power source. The amount of charge it can hold will depend on its capacitance and the voltage of the power source. It is important to follow proper safety protocols when recharging a capacitor to avoid electric shock.