Understanding Derivatives: Step-by-Step Guide to Finding f'(x) of f(x)=2

• MHB
  • Thread starter coolbeans33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivatives
In summary: If $f(x)$ is a function, its rate of change at point $a$ is the slope of the line tangent to the graph of $f$ at $a$ at that point.
coolbeans33
I don't understand this concept very well. So suppose I want to find the derivative of the function f(x)=2. is the answer just zero?

what if I want to find f'(x)=2x, or f'(x)=2x3?

please explain how to get the answer step by step, is there some equation I use or something? I just don't get it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the derivative of a constant is zero...because a constant does not change.

Let me ask you, are you familiar with the definition:

\(\displaystyle f'(x)\equiv\lim_{h\to0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}\) ?

It is from this definition that the rules of differentiation are derived. Have you used this "first principle" to differentiate simple functions?

coolbeans33 said:
I don't understand this concept very well. So suppose I want to find the derivative of the function f(x)=2. is the answer just zero?

please explain how to get the answer step by step, is there some equation I use or something? I just don't get it!

\(\displaystyle f(x) = 2\) is always \(\displaystyle f'(x) = 0\).. -->\(\displaystyle f(x) = 3\) --> \(\displaystyle f'(x) = 0\)

\(\displaystyle f(x) = 4 --> f'(x) = 0\) Derivative of any number goes to zero. (Read the chapter in your book over derivatives.)

If you want to derive \(\displaystyle 2x\), you now have a variable with 2x. Variables derive to 1. so if you had \(\displaystyle f(x) = x\), then \(\displaystyle f'(x) = 1\). So, if you have \(\displaystyle f(x) = 2x\), then \(\displaystyle f'(x) = 2\). because \(\displaystyle 2\)(derivative of x, which is 1) = \(\displaystyle 2\). (Because \(\displaystyle (2)(1)=2\).)

Suppose you have \(\displaystyle f(x) = 2x^3\). Multiply the exponential by the base, then take the exponential and subtract 1. \(\displaystyle f(x) = 2x^3 \) --> \(\displaystyle f'(x) = 6x^2\) Here is another example \(\displaystyle f(x) = 4x^3--> f'(x) = 12x^2
\)

One More.
\(\displaystyle f(x) = 100x^{1000}\)
\(\displaystyle f'(x) = 100000x^{999}\)

Of course I have explained it in the simplest of terms. MarkFL and the rest will be able to expand on derivatives in a more technical and detailed way. Also remember

\(\displaystyle f(x) = \pi^2 \)
\(\displaystyle f'(x) = 0.\)

Last edited:
Hello,
Or you could rewrite \(\displaystyle f(x)=2\) as \(\displaystyle f(x)=2x^0\) right? Cause \(\displaystyle x^0=1\). and if we derivate we get \(\displaystyle f'(x)=0•2x^{-1} <=> f'(x)=0\). Depends if you read in university or high school.. If you read in university you should check look at MarkFL comment and we can help you if you need to understand!

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

shamieh said:
\(\displaystyle f(x) = 2x^3 \) --> \(\displaystyle f'(x) = 6x\)
[/MATH]
Just to make sure that he don't missunderstand, he forgot in the derivate \(\displaystyle x^2\) so \(\displaystyle f(x)=2x^3\) Then \(\displaystyle f'(x)=6x^2\)
Or let's say c is a constant \(\displaystyle f(x)=c^n\) Then \(\displaystyle f'(x)=n•c^{n-1}\)
BUT there is some rule for like derivate \(\displaystyle f(x)g( x)\) but I asume that you have not learned that just to make sure that you think derivate works like that always:)

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Petrus said:
Just to make sure that he don't missunderstand, he forgot in the derivate \(\displaystyle x^2\) so \(\displaystyle f(x)=2x^3\) Then \(\displaystyle f'(x)=6x^2\)

Exactly, typo on my part. Lol good clarification.

coolbeans33 said:

let's find (somewhat) formally, the derivative of $f(x) = 2x^n$, and then I'll answer your first question informally.

By definition:

$\displaystyle f'(x) = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h}$

$\displaystyle = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{2(x+h)^n -2 x^n}{h}$

$\displaystyle = \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{2x^n + 2nx^{n-1}h + \cdots + 2nxh^{n-1} + 2h^n - 2x^n}{h}$

$\displaystyle = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{2h(nx^{n-1} + \cdots + nxh^{n-2} + h^{n-1})}{h}$

(all the terms in the "..." part contain a factor of $h$)

$\displaystyle = \lim_{h \to 0} 2nx^{n-1} + h(\text{other terms})$

$ = 2nx^{n-1} + 0\ast(\text{who cares?}) = 2nx^{n-1}$.

However, for $n = 0$ there is an easier way:

If $f(x) = 2$ (for ALL $x$), then:

$\displaystyle f'(x) = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h}$

$\displaystyle = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{2 - 2}{h} = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{0}{h} = 0$.

Informally, the derivative $f'(a)$ measures the rate of change (or SLOPE) of the function $f$ at the point $a$. If $f$ is a constant function, it never changes, it remains constant, so its rate of change is 0 (no change) at every point $a$.

Related to Understanding Derivatives: Step-by-Step Guide to Finding f'(x) of f(x)=2

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a financial contract that derives its value from an underlying asset, such as stocks, bonds, currencies, or commodities. It is essentially a bet on the future price movements of the underlying asset.

2. How do derivatives work?

Derivatives work by allowing investors to speculate on the future price movements of an underlying asset without actually owning the asset. This is done through contracts that specify the agreed upon price and date for the exchange of the underlying asset.

3. Are derivatives risky?

Yes, derivatives can be considered risky investments because they are highly leveraged and their value is based on the performance of the underlying asset. This means that the potential for both gains and losses is magnified.

4. Who uses derivatives?

Derivatives are used by a variety of investors, including banks, hedge funds, and individual traders. They are also used by corporations to manage their financial risks, such as currency fluctuations or interest rate changes.

5. Can derivatives be used for hedging?

Yes, derivatives can be used as a hedging tool to manage financial risks. For example, a company can use a currency derivative to protect against potential losses due to changes in foreign exchange rates.