Understanding D&F Example 2: R/I Bimodule on Page 366

In summary, Dummit and Foote Section 10.4 discusses the tensor product of modules, specifically the example of viewing the quotient ring R/I as an (R/I, R)-bimodule. To be an (R/I, R)-bimodule, R/I must satisfy certain conditions, including being a left R/I-module and a right R-module. The action (a + I)r is interpreted as ar + I, taking into account that I is a 2-sided ideal.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote Section 10.4: Tensor Products of Modules. I would appreciate some help in understanding Example 2 on page 366 concerning viewing the quotient ring \(\displaystyle R/I \) as an \(\displaystyle (R/I, R) \)-bimodule.

Example (2) D&F page 366 reads as follows:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"(2) Let I be an ideal (two sided) in the ring \(\displaystyle R\). Then the quotient ring \(\displaystyle R/I \) is an \(\displaystyle (R/I, R) \)-bimodule. ... ... ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for \(\displaystyle R/I \) to be a \(\displaystyle (R/I, R) \)-bimodule we require that :

1. \(\displaystyle R/I \) is a left \(\displaystyle R/I \)-module

2. \(\displaystyle R/I \) is a right \(\displaystyle R \)-module

3. (a + I) ( (b+ I) r) = ( (a + I) (b+ I) ) r where a+I, b+I belong to R/I and r is in R.

I have problems with the meaning and rules governing operations on elements in 2 above, and a similar problem with the operations in 3.Consider now, \(\displaystyle R/I \) as a right \(\displaystyle R \)-module

Following Dummit and Foote's definition of a module on page 337 (see attachment) and following the definition closely and carefully (and adjusting for a right module rather than a left module), for \(\displaystyle M = R/I\) to be a right \(\displaystyle R\)-module we require

(1) \(\displaystyle R/I \)to be an abelian group under the operation +, which is achieved under the normal definition of addition of cosets, visually:

\(\displaystyle (a + I) + (b + I) = (a+b) + I \)

(2) an action of \(\displaystyle R\) on \(\displaystyle R/I \) (that is a map \(\displaystyle R/I \times R \to R/I \)) denoted by \(\displaystyle ( a + I ) r \) for all \(\displaystyle (a + I) \in R/I \text{ and for all } r \in R \) which satisfies:

(a) \(\displaystyle ( a + I ) ( r + s) = (a + I) r + (a + I) s \text{ where } (a + I) \in R/I \text{ and } r, s \in R\)

... ... and so on for conditions (b), (c) and (d) - see D&F page 337 (see attachment)My question is as follows:

How do we interpret the action \(\displaystyle ( a + I ) r \) , and also how do we interpret, indeed form/calculate expressions like \(\displaystyle (a + I) r \) in expressions (a) above ... also actually in (b), (c), (d) as well

I would appreciate some help.

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is natural to set:

$(a + I)r = ar + I$

(since $I$ is a 2-sided ideal, $Ir = I$).

Related to Understanding D&F Example 2: R/I Bimodule on Page 366

1. What is a bimodule in D&F Example 2?

In this example, a bimodule refers to a mathematical structure that is simultaneously a left and right module over two different rings. Specifically, it refers to the R/I-bimodule, where R is a ring and I is an ideal of R.

2. What is the significance of the R/I-bimodule in this example?

The R/I-bimodule is used to demonstrate how a commutative ring with an ideal can be viewed as a module over itself. This is important because it allows for the extension of module theory to commutative rings.

3. How is the R/I-bimodule constructed?

The R/I-bimodule is constructed by defining the actions of R and I on a set M, such that M has the structure of both a left and right module over R and I, respectively. The details of this construction can be found in the example in D&F.

4. What is the role of the bimodule homomorphism in this example?

The bimodule homomorphism in this example maps elements of the R/I-bimodule to the R-module, and is used to show that the R/I-bimodule is isomorphic to a direct sum of two R-modules. This is a key result in understanding the structure of bimodules.

5. How does this example relate to other topics in mathematics?

This example is related to several other topics in mathematics, including module theory, ring theory, and abstract algebra. It also has applications in other fields such as algebraic geometry and algebraic topology.