Understanding Curvature in a Graph

• Thread starter prace
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curvature
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the curvature of the function y = x³ and a graphical representation of it. The formula for curvature is provided, and the resulting graph compares the curvature of the function with its "curviness". The relationship between the blue curve representing curvature and the red curve representing the original function is explained, as well as the concept of curvature being the reciprocal of the radius of the tangent circle at a given point. Overall, the conversation provides a better understanding of the concept of curvature.
prace

Homework Statement

Find the curvature of y = x³

Homework Equations

[tex]k(x) = \frac{f"(x)}{[1+(f'(x))²]^{3/2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]k(x) = \frac{6x}{(1+9x^4)^{3/2}[/tex]

I got the answer numerically, but I am looking for an explanation of the graph itself. I chose a relatively easy function in hopes that it would be easy to explain. Any help would be great. Please see the image below:

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8722/curvaturegraph0dg.jpg

The red curve represents the original function, and the blue curve represents the curvature. Could someone please explain how the blue curve represents the curvature? I just can't see how they are related.

** Sorry, I can't seem to get the LaTeX correct, but I will work on it and get the right equations on there. For the time being, I have them posted on the graph itself ** thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Compare the y value of the "blue" curve with the 'curviness' of the "red" curve (the colors don't show up on my reader). Right at x= 0, y= x3 is very "flat". What is its curvature? For x a little more than -1/2 y= x3 appears to be curving quite a lot, convex downward. What is the curvature there? Symmetrically, at x a little less than 1/2, y= x3 is curving a lot, convex upward. Do you see what happens to the curvature there? Finally, for x very "negative" or very "positive", at the two ends of the curve, y= x3 curves less and less and, sure enough the curvature graph is approaching 0. Those graphs are a very good idea.

Also, in the plane, the curvature at a point is the reciprocal of the radius of the tangent circle to the graph at that point (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curvature ). Thus, we define the curvature of a straight line to be zero (the radius of a tangent circle to a straight line increases without bound). Just a geometric aid to measure "curviness" a little more objectively; I'm not sure whether you've been exposed to this idea yet, but with this aid, you can see how the blue curve is generated.

Awesome, thanks guys. You really cleared this up for me!

Related to Understanding Curvature in a Graph

1. What is curvature?

Curvature is a measure of how much a geometric object, such as a line or surface, deviates from being flat.

2. How is curvature calculated?

Curvature is calculated using a mathematical formula that involves the object's shape and its derivatives. For example, the curvature of a line is determined by the change in slope at different points along the line.

3. What does positive and negative curvature mean?

Positive curvature means that the object curves outward, like a sphere, while negative curvature means the object curves inward, like a saddle. Flat surfaces have zero curvature.

4. How does curvature affect the behavior of light?

Curvature can affect the path of light as it travels through space. In the presence of a curved object, light will follow a curved path due to the distortion of space-time caused by the object's mass.

5. How is curvature used in real-world applications?

Curvature has many practical applications in fields such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to study and describe the shape of objects, understand the behavior of light and other waves, and design curved structures such as bridges and roads.