Understanding CT and VT Saturation Effects

In summary, CTs are subject to flux saturation due to the variable link voltage caused by changes in primary/secondary current, while VTs are not affected by this during a line fault. This is due to the fixed magnetizing working point in VTs. It is important to consider basic concepts and not rely solely on internet searching and data gathering to solve problems. Creative thinking can also be helpful in understanding surrounding things and other thought products.
metsfan1395
Can anyone explain why a CT would be subject to flux saturation, but a VT normally wouldn't?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Core saturation-of protective current transformers due to the d.c. component of fault current...
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3792/is_/ai_n8918425"

I would think that VTs would not see this d.c.component in its secondary during a line fault.

Welcome to PF

Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff said:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3792/is_/ai_n8918425"

I would think that VTs would not see this d.c.component in its secondary during a line fault.

Excuse me, I think internet searching or data gathering without referring to basic concepts cannot solve our problems. Of course this is the disadvantage of today information explosion.

Magnetizing working point of voltage transformers is fixed by applied constant primary voltage. This working point doesn't vary even in secondary short circuit fault condition.
However in current transformers, the magnetizing working point varies when the primary/secondary current changes; because the link voltage of this type transformer is variable and may change proportion to multiplying of CT secondary current and secondary impedance. Therefore the voltage level of CT may be increased very much (CT saturation) due to primary short circuit fault currents.

--------------------------------------
Creative thinking is enjoyable, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

Last edited by a moderator:
m.s.j said:
Excuse me, I think internet searching or data gathering without referring to basic concepts cannot solve our problems. Of course this is the disadvantage of today information explosion.
You're right. It wasn't a very good link.

Related to Understanding CT and VT Saturation Effects

1. What is CT and VT saturation?

CT (Current Transformer) and VT (Voltage Transformer) saturation refers to the point at which the output of the transformer stops responding proportionally to the input signal. This can occur when the input signal exceeds a certain level, causing the core of the transformer to become magnetically saturated.

2. What causes CT and VT saturation?

CT and VT saturation can be caused by a variety of factors, including high input currents or voltages, high-frequency harmonics, and overexcitation of the transformer. It can also be caused by incorrect selection or installation of the transformer, such as using a transformer with a lower saturation level than the input signal.

3. How does CT and VT saturation affect measurements?

When a CT or VT becomes saturated, the output signal will no longer accurately reflect the input signal. This can lead to errors in measurements and can also cause damage to the transformer if it remains in a saturated state for an extended period.

4. How can CT and VT saturation be prevented?

To prevent CT and VT saturation, it is important to select the appropriate transformer for the application and ensure that it is installed correctly. Additionally, using filters to reduce harmonics and limiting the input signal can help prevent saturation. Regular maintenance and testing of the transformer can also help identify and prevent saturation.

5. What are the consequences of ignoring CT and VT saturation?

If CT and VT saturation are ignored, it can lead to inaccurate measurements, potential damage to equipment, and even safety hazards. Inaccurate measurements can result in incorrect data and incorrect decision-making based on that data. If the transformer becomes damaged, it may need to be replaced, causing downtime and additional costs. In extreme cases, ignoring saturation can lead to equipment failure or electrical accidents.