Effect of saturation on transformer inductance

In summary, when a transformer core reaches saturation, the permeability of the material decreases, leading to a decrease in the magnetizing inductance. This is due to the decrease in the slope of the BH-curve, which affects the magnetizing current and can cause it to become spiky.
EEstudent90
Hi all

How is the inductance affected when the transformer core has reached saturation? I can not seem to get my head around it, and I hope someone can help me understand it, thanks.

Kind wishes

Engineering news on Phys.org
EEstudent90 said:
Hi all

How is the inductance affected when the transformer core has reached saturation? I can not seem to get my head around it, and I hope someone can help me understand it, thanks.

Kind wishes
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What reading have you been doing so far? How is the hysteresis curve of B=μH related to your question?

Likes EEstudent90
Welcome to PF!

When the transformer reaches saturation, its magnetizing inductance seen by the voltage source decreases, which makes the magnetizing current spiky.
See if this helps.
https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/5384970/

Likes EEstudent90
From wikipedia, saturation is the following:
Seen in some magnetic materials, saturation is the state reached when an increase in applied external magnetic field H cannot increase the magnetization of the material further, so the total magnetic flux density B more or less levels off.

So how does saturation affect the inductance of a transformer?

Let us start by introducing a few equations. Inductance [itex]L[/itex] is defined as
[itex]L = \frac{\phi}{I}[/itex] (1)​
where [itex]\phi[/itex] is the amount of flux inside the core and [itex]I[/itex] is the current. [itex]\phi[/itex] can also be written as
[itex]\phi = \frac{NI}{\mathcal{R}}[/itex] (2)​
where [itex]NI[/itex] is the number of turns multiplied with the current, also known as MMF (magnetomotive force) and [itex]\mathcal{R}[/itex] is the reluctance of the magnetic core. Reluctance can be thought to be similar to resistance as in an electrical circuit, see equation (2) which is analogous to Ohm's law but for magnetic circuits.

Reluctance can be written as
[itex]\mathcal{R} = \frac{l}{\mu _0 \mu _r A}[/itex] (3)​
where [itex]l[/itex] is length of the core, the product, [itex]\mu _0 \mu _r = \mu[/itex], is the permeability of the material and [itex]A[/itex] is the cross sectional area of the core, see figure below.

3mSNIesFgenLZFFDL0djNrS5JQB7yeVmWFwKP2viwGzLxc8x0WLU-QUuIE6UiVROVztMgV9jttHffaAWB5kpNh3kUqV3VJwI.png

If we use equation (2) and plug it into equation (1) we get
[itex]L = \frac{N}{\mathcal{R}}[/itex] (4)​
and if we now put equation (3) into (4) we get
[itex]L = \frac{N}{l/(\mu _0 \mu _r A)} = \frac{N \mu _0 \mu _r A}{l} [/itex] (5)​

So how does this help us? If we look at equation (5) everything appear to be constants, but take a look at this picture (it’s commonly referred to as BH-curve, look it up if you are not familiar with it):
kcA9azcux3AOSGIrWZIDXth3cNIn6RrDk4IXZXRJQUauU6ww9Al-rxJdFsXas_F_vXOse3KB78Ee0dZ9PpHL8YSabntomxrD.gif

If I now tell you that the slope of these curves in the linear regions is equal to the permeability. So when we go into the saturation region, our slope becomes very small. If we now look back to equation (5) we can see that if our permeability (slope) decreases, our inductance also decreases. Look at the picture below to see how the magnetizing current of a transformer is affected when you enter the saturation region.
U196l5PWc-trQj9TQY7HRLj_3qny8W912JXA3IopDM2kQzABup8Qm4CD0G9y9Vlz29_9dae8EUaOT7gd0ZXjtVJsKuvorTUZ.gif
Did I answer your question? If not let me know.

EDIT: I should emphasize that it is the magnetizing inductance we are talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes cnh1995 and EEstudent90
Thank you for the welcome :)

I am very new to this so I will have to look at all the replies carefully before I ask any new questions, thanks!

Likes anorlunda

Related to Effect of saturation on transformer inductance

What is saturation in a transformer and how does it affect inductance?

Saturation in a transformer refers to the point at which the magnetic flux cannot increase any further and the core material reaches its maximum magnetization. This results in a decrease in inductance, as the core becomes less responsive to changes in current.

What causes saturation in a transformer?

Saturation in a transformer is caused by an increase in the magnetic field strength, either due to a high input voltage or a high current flowing through the windings. This causes the core material to become fully magnetized and unable to hold any additional flux.

How does saturation affect the performance of a transformer?

Saturation can significantly impact the performance of a transformer. It can cause an increase in core losses, leading to a decrease in efficiency. It can also result in distorted waveforms and harmonics, which can cause damage to other components in the circuit.

Can saturation be prevented in a transformer?

Saturation cannot be completely prevented, but it can be managed through proper design and selection of core material and operating conditions. Utilizing a larger core, reducing the input voltage, and using materials with higher saturation levels can help minimize saturation effects.

What are the consequences of operating a transformer in saturation?

Operating a transformer in saturation can result in overheating, increased losses, and potential damage to the transformer. It can also cause voltage drops and reduce the transformer's ability to regulate the output voltage, leading to poor performance and potential circuit failures.