Understanding Compound Interest: Solving Problems and Maximizing Profits

In summary, at the end of five years, the value of the card collection would be $15,500 + 1000*0.05*5 = $500.
seiferseph
I'm having some trouble with this problem
what i did was

(15500 + 1000t)*e^0.05t > 1000
so basically, when the money you are making is greater than how much you would make by keeping the cards

i know the first t = when you sell it, but what is the second t? that should be the amount of time the money is left in the account, but it doesn't give anything. Also, I'm having trouble just solving this. I would appreciate any help, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that what you're trying to do is to maximize profit. Profit is defined by how much you make in one year. In the one case the profit is $1000 per year. In the other, it's 5%, <<<compounded continuously>>>. You need to compare these things. Don't forget "continuously".

Carl

IOW, at what point would the interest on the value of the card collection exceed $1,000/year.

I don't understand,what is wrong with what i was doing?

You have the appreciated value compounding interest continuously. According to your statement of the problem, the collection is either appreciating or you're taking the proceeds and then investing it.

Try it this way. At the end of n years, the value of the collection is [itex]15,500 + 1000 n[/itex]. If you sold at the end of n years and deposited the money, how much would that money be worth one year later with interest compounded continuously? What would be the interest earned at the end of that year? How big does n have to be in order to produce more than $1,000 interest in that year?

Tide said:
You have the appreciated value compounding interest continuously. According to your statement of the problem, the collection is either appreciating or you're taking the proceeds and then investing it.
Try it this way. At the end of n years, the value of the collection is [itex]15,500 + 1000 n[/itex]. If you sold at the end of n years and deposited the money, how much would that money be worth one year later with interest compounded continuously? What would be the interest earned at the end of that year? How big does n have to be in order to produce more than $1,000 interest in that year?

isn't that just

compound interset: P = P(o)*e^rt, where t = 1
and since you will be putting 15,500 + 1000 n

(15500 + 1000n)*e^0.05 > 1000 ?

because you will get 15500 + 1000n from selling, which you will put in the bank, and you want the profit made in one year to be greater than how much you would make by just keeping the cards

That looks good to me!

Tide said:
That looks good to me!

i tried solving that, but I got a negative number, and the answer is should be 4.5 :confused:

Actually, you should be solving

[tex](15000+1000n)(e^{0.05} - 1) = 1000[/tex]

since it's the interest we're concerned with. You should find n is about 4.

Tide said:
Actually, you should be solving
since it's the interest we're concerned with. You should find n is about 4.

thats what someone told me, why is it (e^0.05 - 1) though? where did the -1 come from? i did try that and got the right answer, but i don't understand where it came from

An easier way to set up the problem is to compare the rates at which the amount is increasing. I don't think that

is correct. Instead, the equation should be:

[tex](15000+1000n)(1.05 - 1) = 1000[/tex]

So I get 5 years exactly. The reason is that you are not comparing the amount earned per year, but are instead looking at the amount compounded continuously. As soon as that amount exceeds the rate of $1000 per year (or about $3 per day), you sell and put the money in the bank.

Have I made this clear? What I'm saying is that the point in time in which you convert over is determined by a comparison of rates, not a comparison of how the two choices will do over the following 12 months. Consequently, the continuous interest rate (.05) shouldn't be converted to an annual rate by the (e^.05 - 1). There's nothing special in the problem about a "year". The year is just the unit of measurement for time in this case.

You can convert the problem into a problem where the unit of measurement is the second. To do that, you divide the $1000 by the number of seconds in a year, and you divide the 5% by the same amount. When you're done, you'll solve the problem the same way and since what you're looking for is a higher rate, you'll get the same answer, but in seconds instead of years.

I'm going against the grain here. Maybe I'm confused. It's pretty clear that if you leave the collection alone for 5 years you will end up with a total value of $20,000. Why don't you figure out how much you'll have if instead you stop at 4.5 years and then put the resulting $19,500 in the bank at 5% interest compounded continuously? I don't have a calculator handy right now so work it out.

By the way, I find that playing "Railroad Tycoon" is the best way to learn how to use a financial calculator.

Carl

Last edited:
Oh, i get it now, Thanks so much for all the help!

Related to Understanding Compound Interest: Solving Problems and Maximizing Profits

What is compound interest?

Compound interest refers to the process of earning interest on both the initial principal amount and the accumulated interest of an investment or loan over time. This results in a compounding effect, where the interest earned in each period is added to the principal amount and then earns additional interest in the following period.

How is compound interest calculated?

Compound interest is calculated by multiplying the principal amount by the interest rate, and then adding that amount to the principal to get the new total. This new total becomes the principal amount for the next period, and the process repeats. The formula for compound interest is A = P (1 + r/n)^(nt), where A is the final amount, P is the principal, r is the annual interest rate, n is the number of compounding periods per year, and t is the total number of years.

What are some real-life applications of compound interest?

Compound interest can be seen in various financial products such as savings accounts, investment accounts, and loans. It is also used in retirement planning, where the accumulated interest on investments over time can lead to significant growth in retirement savings. Businesses also use compound interest in their financial planning and to calculate the cost of borrowing money.

What is the difference between compound interest and simple interest?

The main difference between compound interest and simple interest is that simple interest only applies to the initial principal amount, while compound interest applies to both the principal and the accumulated interest. This means that compound interest will result in a higher return over time compared to simple interest.

How does the compounding frequency affect compound interest?

The compounding frequency refers to how often the interest is added to the principal amount. Generally, the more frequent the compounding, the higher the final amount will be. For example, if compounding occurs monthly instead of annually, the interest will be added to the principal 12 times a year instead of just once, resulting in a higher overall return.