Understanding Complex Exponential Summation: How is the Arctan Function Used?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to convert a factor in [ ] brackets to polar form using the arctan function. The concept of using v and w as variables is introduced and the process of converting to polar form is explained. Drawing a picture of the complex plane is suggested as a helpful tool in understanding the conversion process.
wirefree
I appreciate the opportunity afforded by this forum to submit a question.

I have struggled with the derivation shown in the attached picture. I am certainly unfamiliar with the concept used to include the arctan function in the encircled step.

Would be highly appreciative of a prompt.wirefree

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 483
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello there,

I then assume you are happy with (4) and wonder how the factor in [ ] brackets is converted to the polar form in the red oval.
For simplicity I propose to introduce $$ v = A\cos\alpha+B\cos\beta \\ w = A\sin\alpha+B\sin\beta$$ so that we have to convert ## v + jw## to polar form, i.e. to a form ##R\,e^{j\phi}##

(which is the reverse of what was done to write out (4), where, for example, they wrote$$A\,e^{j\alpha}= A\cos\alpha + j A\sin\alpha$$)

If we want to solve ## v + jw = R\,e^{j\phi}## for ##R## and ##\phi## and compare with the above, we see that ##\phi## follows from ##{\sin\phi\over\cos \phi} = {w\over v}##, meaning ##\tan\phi = w/v## or ##\phi = \arctan {w\over v}##

R follows from ##R^2 = (v+jw)(v-jw) = v^2 - j^2 w^2 = v^2 + w^2 ##

What helps a lot in this is to draw a picture of the complex plane (j axis vertical, real axis horizontal). And a unit circle or a circle with radius R to convert ##R \, e^{j\phi} ## to real and imaginary parts.

--

Thank you, BvU.

Related to Understanding Complex Exponential Summation: How is the Arctan Function Used?

What is the sum of 2 complex exponentials?

The sum of 2 complex exponentials is the result of adding 2 complex numbers raised to a power. In other words, it is the addition of 2 terms in the form of a^b + c^d, where a, b, c, and d are complex numbers and b and d are exponents.

How do you simplify the sum of 2 complex exponentials?

To simplify the sum of 2 complex exponentials, you can use the properties of exponents. For example, if the bases and exponents of the 2 terms are the same, you can add the coefficients and keep the same base and exponent. If the bases are different, you can use the rule (a^b)*(c^b) = (a*c)^b to combine them into a single term.

Can the sum of 2 complex exponentials be written in polar form?

Yes, the sum of 2 complex exponentials can be written in polar form by converting the complex numbers to their polar form and then adding them. The polar form of a complex number is expressed as r(cosθ + i sinθ), where r is the magnitude and θ is the angle in radians.

What is the difference between the sum of 2 complex exponentials and the product of 2 complex numbers?

The sum of 2 complex exponentials is the result of adding 2 complex numbers raised to a power, while the product of 2 complex numbers is the result of multiplying 2 complex numbers. In other words, the sum involves adding while the product involves multiplying.

How is the sum of 2 complex exponentials used in science and mathematics?

The sum of 2 complex exponentials has many applications in science and mathematics, including in signal processing, electrical engineering, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in solving differential equations and in calculating the Fourier transform of a signal.