Understanding Combinatorics: Probability of Selecting Balls from a Box

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of hypergeometric distribution to calculate the probabilities of selecting different colored balls from a box. The first formula calculates the probability of selecting two blue balls while the second formula calculates the probability of selecting one blue and one red ball. The reason for using different formulas is due to the organization and permutation of relevant outcomes. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to directly calculate the probabilities instead of using combinatorial formulas.
Nikitin
Hi. OK in a box there are 6 balls, 2 red ones and 4 blue ones. We take 2 balls out of the box without putting any of them back

1) If I wish to know the probability of selecting 2 blue ones, I just do this: (4above2)/(6above2)=6/15 or 4C2/6C2 or (4*3/2)/(6*5/2)2) BUT, if I wish to know the probability 1 blue and 1 red, I must use the first formula here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergeometric_distribution

(4above1)*(2above1)/(6above2)=8/15=p(1 blue and 1 red ball selected)

WHY can't we use the same logic as in the formula in 1) and do this: (4*2/2)/(6*5/2)=4/15 ?? why is just (4*2)/(6*5/2)=8/15 correct?

I mean, why are the number of relevant outcomes "unorganized" or "combinated" in 2) but in 1) they are "organized" and "permuted" ?

Excuse me for my english. I am hoping somebody can please explain this too me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
so is my english the reason nobody wants to post a reply? If it helps I am talking about "hypergeometric" probability in 2)

Instead of mechanically using combinatorial formulas, you are better of with direct calculation.

For the first problem: Prob(first ball chosen is blue)=2/3, prob(second ball chosen is also blue)=3/5. Therefore prob(both balls are blue)=2/5.

For the second problem, there are two mutually exclusive ways of doing it - blue first and red second or red first and blue second. The first has prob 2/3 x 2/5 = 4/15. The second has prob 1/3 x 4/5 = 4/15. Total prob = 8/15.

aah thank you, i get it now ! :)

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I am happy to provide an explanation for the difference in the two formulas you mentioned.

In the first formula, you are calculating the probability of selecting 2 blue balls out of a total of 6 balls in the box. This is called a combination, where the order of the selected balls does not matter. This is why you are using the combination formula (nCr) to calculate the probability in this case.

However, in the second formula, you are calculating the probability of selecting 1 blue ball and 1 red ball out of a total of 6 balls in the box. In this case, the order of the selected balls does matter, as you are specifically looking for one blue ball and one red ball. This is called a permutation, where the order of the selected items does matter. This is why you are using the permutation formula (nPn) to calculate the probability in this case.

To summarize, the first formula is used when the order of the selected items does not matter, while the second formula is used when the order does matter. I hope this helps to clarify the difference between the two formulas.

Best,

Related to Understanding Combinatorics: Probability of Selecting Balls from a Box

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and organizing objects in a systematic way. It involves studying patterns, combinations, and permutations.

2. How does combinatorics relate to probability?

Combinatorics is closely related to probability because it helps us understand the likelihood of certain events occurring. By using combinatorial techniques, we can calculate the number of possible outcomes and determine the probability of each one.

3. What is the difference between combinations and permutations?

Combinations and permutations are both ways of organizing objects, but they differ in terms of order. Combinations are unordered selections, while permutations are ordered arrangements.

4. How do you calculate the probability of selecting balls from a box using combinatorics?

To calculate the probability of selecting balls from a box using combinatorics, we first need to determine the total number of possible outcomes. Then, we calculate the number of favorable outcomes and divide it by the total number of outcomes. This gives us the probability of selecting a specific combination of balls from the box.

5. Can combinatorics be used in real-world applications?

Yes, combinatorics has many real-world applications in fields such as statistics, computer science, and economics. It can be used to solve problems related to probability, data analysis, and decision-making processes.