Analytical formula for the number of patterns by using combinations?

In summary,A 4×3 matrix which has all elements empty, now I select any two consecutive elements until all elements are selected. I assign an index number (1 to 12) to the matrix element, in one row there are only 1,2,3 elements and 3 & 4 are not consecutive. For the first-time selection of 2 consecutive elements, there is an 8 pattern (as shown in first_PIC). Now, I have 8 patterns in which the first pattern has 1 & 2 index elements are fixed. now from this first pattern again I select 2 consecutive elements, I get 6 patterns (9 to 14 as shown in first_PIC). This process
Sahil_John
A 4×3 matrix which has all elements empty, now I select any two consecutive elements until all elements are selected. I assign an index number (1 to 12) to the matrix element, in one row there are only 1,2,3 elements and 3 & 4 are not consecutive.

for example, if I select index 1 & 2 of the matrix, I get the first pattern. if I select 2 & 3 of the matrix, I get the second pattern, likewise 4 & 5, and so on. So, for the first-time selection of 2 consecutive elements, there is an 8 pattern (as shown in first_PIC).

Now, I have 8 patterns in which the first pattern has 1 & 2 index elements are fixed. now from this first pattern again I select 2 consecutive elements, I get 6 patterns (9 to 14 as shown in first_PIC). This process is repeated until all the possible patterns are created.

In the figure, I created manually 80 patterns for two consecutive elements but if I increase the size of the matrix, I cannot compute the number of patterns manually. I need an analytical formula for finding the total number of patterns. I attached a figure for the explanation. If anything you need to know let me know. Can anyone help me? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:
Sahil_John said:
I attached a figure for the explanation.
I don't see any attachments. Maybe try again? Thanks.

Please find the attachement. Thank you
First_PIc.jpg

I am afraid your description is impossible to understand, and the attached image is difficult to read, but from combining them I think you mean this:
  1. M is a 4 x 3 matrix.
  2. Each element of M is either 0 or 1.
  3. Each row of M may contain all 0s, or one pair of elements in adjacent columns may equal 1.
Matrix examples:
Valid    Valid    Invalid
0 0 0    0 1 1    0 0 0
0 0 0    0 0 0    1 1 1
0 0 0    1 1 0    0 0 0
0 0 0    0 1 1    0 0 0

How many solutions are there for M?

If my description is right then you have miscounted and there are ## 3 \times 3 \times 3 \times 3 = 81 ## solutions. Can you see why? Can you use this knowledge to find a solution for an ## m \times n ## matrix?

If you reply to this message you can see how I have used CODE formatting to easily show the examples, and ## \LaTeX ## formatting to show mathematical expressions nicely.

Last edited:
Dear Sir, your description is right. But, in your example there are only two valid patterns then it should be 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 16. I understand it 3 is 4 times because of the number of rows. But how comes 3?

Sahil_John said:
Dear Sir, your description is right. But, in your example there are only two valid patterns then it should be 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 16. I understand it 3 is 4 times because of the number of rows. But how comes 3?
There are 3 valid patterns in each row:
Row examples:
0 0 0    Valid: no elements selected.
1 1 0    Valid: 1st and 2nd element selected.
0 1 1    Valid: 2nd and 3rd element selected.
1 0 0    Invalid: unpaired element selected.
1 0 1    Invalid: selected elements are not adjacent.
1 1 1    Invalid: unpaired element selected.

Dear Sir, Thank you for your explanation; I got it. One more question if I take two different numbers 1 and (1,1). Is it possible to compute the total number of patterns? Thank you so much for being so supportive.

Sahil_John said:
If I take two different numbers 1 and (1,1).
I don't understand what you mean.

As in my previous example, I took (1,1) pairs all the time. Same as if I take "a" and (b,b) pair. for example, in (0,0,0) if I select "a" and (b,b) pair, i get two patterns (a,b,b) and (b,b,a).

If there are 4 rows each with 2 valid patterns then there is a total of ## 2^4 = 16 ## patterns.

It means I can take any different number of pairs or single elements. If the Number of valid patterns (let a) and the number of rows (let b), then total patterns is a to the power b (a^b). Is it correct? Thank you, Sir

Likes pbuk
Yes, that is correct :biggrin:

Dear Sir, pbuk, I am grateful to you for solving my problem. Thank you

1. What is an analytical formula for the number of patterns using combinations?

An analytical formula for the number of patterns using combinations is a mathematical equation that can be used to calculate the total number of possible patterns that can be formed by selecting a certain number of objects from a larger set without repetition and without regard to the order in which they are selected.

2. How is the analytical formula for the number of patterns using combinations derived?

The analytical formula for the number of patterns using combinations is derived from the combination formula, which is nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects selected. By simplifying this formula and accounting for the fact that order does not matter, we can arrive at the analytical formula for the number of patterns using combinations.

3. Can the analytical formula for the number of patterns using combinations be used for any type of pattern?

Yes, the analytical formula for the number of patterns using combinations can be used for any type of pattern as long as the pattern is formed by selecting a certain number of objects from a larger set without repetition and without regard to the order in which they are selected.

4. How is the analytical formula for the number of patterns using combinations useful in real-world applications?

The analytical formula for the number of patterns using combinations is useful in real-world applications such as in statistics, probability, and data analysis. It can be used to calculate the total number of possible outcomes in a given scenario, which can then be used to make informed decisions and predictions.

5. Are there any limitations to the analytical formula for the number of patterns using combinations?

One limitation of the analytical formula for the number of patterns using combinations is that it assumes that all objects in the set are distinct and can be selected without replacement. It also does not account for scenarios where order does matter, such as in permutations. Additionally, the formula may become computationally challenging for large numbers, making it difficult to calculate the number of patterns in certain scenarios.