Understanding Buoyancy: Solving a Simple Cube Floating Question

• Thread starter ooohlala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary: So, the weight of the cube is balanced by the force of buoyancy, and the volume of the cube outside water is 0.0343 m^3.In summary, the volume of the cube outside water is 0.0343 m^3. According to Archimedes's principle, the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the displaced fluid. Since the object is floating, the net force must be zero, and the weight of the cube is balanced by the force of buoyancy.
ooohlala
1. Homework Statement

A 700 g solid cube of edge length 10 cm floats in water. If the density of water is 10^3 kg/m^3, find the volume of the cube outside water.

2. Homework Equations

So the solution to this tells me that 'the weight of the cube should be balanced by the force of buoyancy and the force of buoyancy is equal to the weight of the water displaced'. And there is this other formula that says:

Apparent Weight of object in water = Real Weight of object - Force of Buoyancy

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand. According to the formula the force of buoyancy is the real weight of the object minus its apparent weight in water, but the solution says that the force of buoyancy must be balanced by the weight of the object. Can someone explain this to me, and possibly tell me how I am supposed to deal with questions that involve buoyancy in general?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you need here are two things:
(1) Archimedes's principle: The buoyant force equals the weight of the displaced fluid.
(2) Conditions for equilibrium: Since the object is floating, the net force must be zero.

There are only two forces on the object: Gravity (down) and the buoyant force (up).

Related to Understanding Buoyancy: Solving a Simple Cube Floating Question

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object placed within it. This force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

2. What factors affect buoyancy?

The factors that affect buoyancy include the density of the fluid, the volume of the object, and the gravitational force acting on the object.

3. How does the shape of an object affect its buoyancy?

The shape of an object can affect its buoyancy because it can change the volume of fluid that the object displaces. Objects with a larger volume will experience a greater upward force, making them more buoyant.

4. What is the difference between positive and negative buoyancy?

Positive buoyancy occurs when an object is less dense than the fluid it is placed in, causing it to float. Negative buoyancy occurs when an object is more dense than the fluid, causing it to sink.

5. How can we calculate buoyancy?

Buoyancy can be calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This can be calculated using the formula Fb = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the object, and g is the gravitational acceleration.